Author Topic: Edward Mayhew - Surgeon - Hitchen  (Read 7342 times)

Offline magsb123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Mayhew - Surgeon - Hitchen
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
Thanks for checking Edward in 1855 Post Office Directory which means the Mayhews were just visiting. Maybe they were staying with relatives. If it is not too much trouble can I ask you to check to see if other allied families were listed i.e. Pendlebury, Nicholson, Gardner or French. Most appreciated . Regards, Margaret.

Offline ElvisMole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I will check later on today for you.
If you get bored or restless waiting and you fancy a look for yourself then you will find the directory mentioned here ....
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/
Select "by location"
Dropdownbox to Hertfordshire
Top 2 are the 1855 PO directories.
Select a directory
then select "directory" to the left of "fact file"
then enter the name and hit "search"
"Next hit" gets each hit and the word(name) you are looking for is highlighted in yellow.

The area BANCROFT in Hitchin did not seem to have a good reputation but a brief description is here....
http://www.nicolasassociates.com/hitchinvirtualtour/bancroft.htm

If DrMayhew left for Chile did he ever get there? How did you know he intended going to Chile?

Cheers
Ray

Offline magsb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the net sites. Will check later. I had found mention of the almshouses in Hitchin and had thought maybe Edward had served there as a doctor. He had only graduated in 1854 and thought he may have been serving his internship in the poorhouses. Since there was no mention of him in the PO Directory I think they must have been visiting friends or relations.

Edward definitely left home after 1855 sometime and joined the Chilean Navy as a surgeon. He was never heard from again. His wife had the son Edward William christened in 1859 so think that she must have given up hope for him returning home. Through a kind person on Rootschat I was directed to Google Books and found mention of Eduardo Mayhew, serving in the Chilean Navy as a 2nd class ships surgeon in 1859. Although the family made contact with diplomatic authorities in Santiago in the 1870's, nobody knew anything about him being in the Navy. There was one report that he died in 1874 and was buried in Illapel, Coquimbo. This has not been substantiated so cannot say for sure. Although it seems a strange journey for Edward to take I was quite surprised that there were a number of English names amongst the crews of the CN. Any ideas on tracing him on other sites? Thanks for your interest.
Regards, Margaret.

Offline ElvisMole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Edward Mayhew and Ann Pendlebury were neighbours!
Is that how they met?

EM lived in 7 Park Terrace in/next to Morpeth Road where AP lived.

21 Morpeth Rd has Ann(52), C?(22), Edwin(9), Emma(5)
On the day of the census Ann(19) was with John(49) and Alfred(11) in the RoyalMint

Ray

Offline ElvisMole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 15:07 BST (UK) »

Just in case it's useful......

Edward seems to be in boarding school in Kelvedon in 1841.
Kelvedon is close to where both parents were born.

(Ancestry = Edward Mayhew 1828 living Essex, first result)

R

Offline magsb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
Have EM in 1841 and 1851. Also, Pendleburys. Ann's father was an engraver at the RM. I did not realize that Morpeth Road and Park Terrace were close by. This could indeed explain how they met. As a matter of interest Ann's brother Alfred joined the Indian Navy as a Captain's Clerk in 1859 until the service was disbanded in 1863. They are very interesting families to research. (Not direct ancestors of mine but of my son in law). Thanks for your help. Margaret.

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 July 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
Bancroft is a wide road (it used to have cattle and sheep pens in the middle of it on market days).  There are many fine buildings still standing, with lovely doorframes etc.  Once it was all residential, but now it is commercial, mainly shops.

It certainly was a bit better than Dead Street (now called Queen Street) which was the real slum area until the 1930s.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Richard D M Mayhew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
The search goes on for Edward missing in Chile...his son Edward ( Ausralia ) had sent a request to the US Government Washington to which they replied no information of wherabouts. I have the letter.
There was a lot of activity up and down the coast of North & South America particularly with the gold rush in California at the time .Many came to this part of the world seeking their fortunes.
I understand in Coquimbo Chile there is an English Quarter currently being restored. Perhaps the local Government there have some clues.

Offline magsb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,
Thanks for your message regarding Edward. The family here in Australia would love to know what happened to him. The last mention of Edward is in Chilean Maritime Records in 1859 where he is listed as a ship's surgeon on board "Meteoro" and then there is a report that he was buried at Illapel, Coquimbo in 1874 . It is strange to think that he never again got in touch with his family back in Britain. I did try writing to the Church of the Latter Day Saints in Santiago (in Spanish) hoping that they might look up local records to no avail. Can you please contact me on (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php