Author Topic: Aboriginal descent  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Aboriginal descent
« on: Saturday 27 March 10 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know:If one is of aboriginal descent, is this stated on NSW BDM certificates?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Aboriginal descent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

On the NSW BDM online index, try entering the surname as * and either the mother's or the father's name as aboriginal.  At present, the latest online index for a child with an obvious paternal line aboriginal descent would be 1904. 

Obviously there would be many other birth registrations (especially when the parents' names are recorded), and I am not aware of the current practices at the NSW BDM for registering births.   

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestion.

I was actually wondering if when certificates are received whether they would state 'Aboriginal', rather than it doing so on the NSW BDM website.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 10 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't think so Jamjar.
Any I have, up to 1974, don't have a place to note race.
But then none of mine are aboriginal.
Thinking back, I can't remember there being anywhere on the form to note race either.
Leonie.

Added; a lot of NSW gov. forms do ask if the person involved is of aboriginal or islander descent, so I think I'd remember if it asked that on a birth registration form.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 March 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Leonie.

I'm looking into this for a deceased, friend's son.

She told us that her mother was of partial Aboriginal descent, but we don't know how she found this out.

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 March 10 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

Have you access to any of the bdm certs for the mother, as they may have details (eg birth cert should have names that give an indication eg parents or the midwife or the informant or the place of birth - perhaps pointing to a birth associated with the Aboriginal Protectorate etc).

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 March 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
The mother's cert doesn't mention Aboriginality.

We'll just have to work backwards.

Jamjar

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 04:02 BST (UK) »
Some certificates do mention Aboriginal for mother or father. Depends what time frame they are written in as well.  Keep in mind that BDM are allowed to remove anything from a certificate that implies illigitimacy.  It is in the bdm act.  So the necessary info doesn't always end up on the copy you pay for.  I only found this out recently.  I have recently done an index of the Church of England Registers for New England NSW.  63 individuals in the area prior to around 1920 have the word Aboriginal, native etc written on them.  The index is online and free to access.  www.armidalehistory.com  as is the general index of Aboriginal people which draws from the records I can find which states Aboriginality.   If you are not from the region, State records and Ancestry have the census records which state Aboriginality.  1891 and 1901 are on Ancestry as of only recently.  This is where I have found a lot of information.  All regions around NSW are on there. 

Regards,

Caroline Chapman
Clarke (The Gap QLD) , Morehouse (Cobram vic), Jepson, Garland, Tilsley, Wiggins (Tasmania)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 04:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information, Caroline.

Jamjar