Author Topic: Link: Nottinghamshire Guardian Newspaper  (Read 14217 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Nottinghamshire Guardian Newspaper
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 August 14 13:14 BST (UK) »
I saw British Newspapers were only accessible from the library, but like Notts Girl said Gale was always accessible from home.
So it looks like it's a cut back from Notts CC. Pity they haven't cut back on all the advertising banners littering lamp posts around here.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 August 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
Just back from the big library in town. I spoke to 2 people on the help desk, neither knew much about this, in fact I had to show one of them how to navigate the library website ???

The conclusion is that due to cut backs the council are no longer subscribing to Gale, just the British Newspapers only accessible from the library computers.

An E mail to my councillor I think.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 August 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

OK so something going on here then as I've just been on the Gale site with the link on I gave and can still access it myself, when I've put in my card number it brings up a page with the following on and I just click on the box for 19th Century British Newspapers  and use as usual.

"Select All Cross-Searchable ProductsAdditional Products

Select
Custom UK Online - Journals
A collection of 50 online journals

Select
Custom UK Online - Newspapers
A collection of 10 UK Newspapers

Select
Gale Virtual Reference LibraryGale Virtual Reference Library
Gale Virtual Reference Library is a database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. These reference materials once were accessible only in the library, but now you can access them online from the library or remotely 24/7. Because each library creates its own eBook collection, the content you see may vary if you use the database at different libraries (your school, your public library, or your office).
Additional ProductsCross-Searchable Products

NewsVaultNewsVault
NewsVault delivers the definitive cross-searching experience for exploring your library's collection of Gale historical newspapers. With the power to search over 10 million digitized facsimile pages, Gale NewsVault provides an unparalleled window to the past.

The Times Digital Archive, 1785-2008The Times Digital Archive, 1785-2008
First published in 1785, The Times of London is widely considered to be the world's 'newspaper of record'. The Times Digital Archive allows users to search over 200 years of this invaluable historical source.

19th Century British Newspapers19th Century British Newspapers
19th Century British Newspapers contains full runs of influential national and regional newspapers representing different political and cultural segments of 19th-century British society.
Find Out More About  PowerSearchContact UsCopyrightTerms of UsePrivacy Policy"

Wendy
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Wendy I'll PM you my Library card number, maybe  see if you can get it to work on that link. Jay

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
OK give it a try.
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jay,

No it didn't work I've pm'd you my number for you to try.

Wendy

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wendy I'll try it later, something is odd here, mine always worked before.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 August 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi All.... :)

Yes , it is really annoying that we can no longer access the Gale/Infotrac newspapers.

It is supposed to be cutbacks and other ways to access them.... hmmm!

I am guessing the reason why Jaywit, Larkspur and me etc can't gain access is because we have Nottinghamshire County Council library cards..... while Wendy has a Nottingham City library card ?

I remember prior to our access to the Gale newspapers , Nottingham City library card holders had access a few years before the rest of Notts. It does feel unfair!

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 August 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Although I live in the county my library card was issued by the city( long story ) and I know previously some issued by the county couldn't access Gale but I could.

So as I can't now it appears that something has happened recently to change this.