Author Topic: haigh hall manchester.  (Read 5258 times)

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
haigh hall manchester.
« on: Saturday 27 March 10 13:02 GMT (UK) »
hi every one,
 can anyone help me with this query about haigh,hall and regarding information on a robert stephenson i would like to find out if he was employed there as a groom/stablehand about 1788 when he may have been 15 years old.he was born 1773 in snaith west yorkshire and then in abt 1813 married an elinor crawford  who was the daughter of the lindsay/crawford family who lived at haigh hall. i was told they disowned her for getting married to robert. any help with this mystery will be greatly appreciated.as i would love to know the truth about this as they where my 3x great grand parents and have it solved for the rest of the family to know.
 so please can some one out there help me??
 my greatfull thanks and kindest regards.........................jean................ :)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: haigh hall manchester.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 10 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gemma

Haigh Hall is in the Wigan area so you could either contact the local library or write direct to the hall to see if they keep any records.

From what I understand there is also a Family History Shop in Wigan which holds a lot of records.

On Wigan Council's website I found:

Tue 9th Mar, 10:30am
HISTORY OF HAIGH HALL
Standish Library.
For further information telephone 01257 400496.
Free

If you contact Standish Library they would be able to direct you to the person who gave the talk.

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 10 15:18 GMT (UK) »
hi sandygrounder.
 thanks for your reply to my message, i have just tried to ring the standish libary but they were closed . i will try again on monday to see if they can help me. i left a message on there answering machine. i also tried haigh hall about nearly a year ago when we started doing the family tree but no luck, we found that elinor was born in scotland and they where supposed to have lived at the hall later. all i seem to do is hit a brick wall as we find no name for her parents. lets hope i get info from them. i am greatfull for your help.
   kindest regards..............jean................ :)

Offline Tipps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
This is a very interesting story!  I'm not sure the names and dates tie up though.  Alexander Lindsay, the 6th Earl of Balcarres did not become the 23rd Earl of Crawford until his son claimed the title (1848) long after his death (1825).  It also doesn't mention the Earl, Alexander Lindsay (around 1813 the date of marriage) having a daughter called Elinor, but she may have been 'deleted' from the family, or may have been a niece or other relative.  But overall, more is written and kept about the titled people and they're easier to trace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Lindsay,_6th_Earl_of_Balcarres

The History Shop in Wigan has been renamed and refurbished and is now:

Museum of Wigan life, Library Street, Wigan, WN1 1NU.
Tel: 01942 828128
E-mail: heritage[-- at --]wlct.org

They have different records at different venues, so it's worth emailing and asking them or Lancs Record Office if they hold the pedigree to the Earl of Balcarres or Earl of Crawford, or any letters (especially by his wife, Elizabeth) or a diary even.  Another name to check would be George Lindsay 22nd Earl of Crawford, who must have been related to Alexander of Haigh Hall.

Looking at the marriage you mention 1813, it's worth getting the original record checked.  But, if they eloped in secret she may have used a different name.

Good luck with this one, I think it's going to be a difficult trek.

Regards, Tipps

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
hi tipps,
 thanks for the reply to this message, the lady in question  elinor and robert her husband where my 3x great grandparents, so we are trying to find out about them. i have been in touch with a warden at haigh hall and the history shop for information so see what i hear from them, if i could find out if there i a book somewhere with the staff in who worked there to see if roberts name is in. could be helpful. i know its goingto take some time in finding out about her but will just carry on till i find out.i greatly appreciate your help with this. if you find any more please let me know it will help me enormously.
  my kindest regards..................jean.............. :)

Offline wiilscar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gemma
have just read about your relative We have exactly the same story in our family but much woolier  a groom ran away with the daughter of the of the Crawford family linked to Wigan which we have identified like you as Haigh Hall. Unfortunately we have got no further.
Have you moved on at all since your last post?
Are we related?
The link is on my Grandmothers side...Williams

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 February 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Just a word on the pronunciation of the Haigh word.   In the Wigan area it is pronounced as Hay   to rhyme with Way.

I believe that Haigh Hall  is owned by Wigan Borough Council.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 February 11 15:48 GMT (UK) »
This site has a lot about the family and Alexander's children - no mention of an Elinor

Wigan History Search :: IndexThe Crawford's Timeline of the Crawford family at Haigh Hall. Moderator WHS, 11, 16, Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 pm. WHS · View latest post. No new posts ...
www.wiganhistorysearch.co.uk

I agree with the previous posters you need to find the marriage. Where did they have their children christened?

Gibel

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 February 11 21:15 GMT (UK) »
hi.
 in reply to your message, at the present time i have not found the place they married, i did find the children where born in cowick snaith yorkshire, still searching for elinors parents, but have it a brick wall on this, so will if i can try to find any information. i can......
  kindest regards....................jean................... :)