Author Topic: Boer war service: can anyone explain this?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Boer war service: can anyone explain this?
« on: Saturday 27 March 10 19:42 GMT (UK) »
A couple of years ago, at my late aunt's house, I found King's South Africa and Queen's South Africa medal ribbons (sadly no badges), which had been awarded to my grandfather.

I had already got of copy of my grandfather's army records from Kew and found that he enlisted into The Prince of Wales’ Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians)  on 25 Oct 1900.  Obviously, the 2nd Boer War was being fought at this time, and yet after he enlisted, the next entry of him being posted is 11 Sept 1902.  The Boer War was already over, although I know that his battalion (2nd Battn, Leinsters) stayed on in South Africa until 1905, and it seems from his records that he was there until that date.

Having read about the conditions for being awarded the KSA and the QSA on Wikipedia, I'm really confused as to how he managed to be awarded these medals/ribbons.  Again, to emphasise: on his army records after his attestation on 25 October 1900, the next entry is almost 2 years later, saying that he was 'posted'  on 11 Sept 1902, presumably to South Africa.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me understand this: did my grandfather actually fight in the Boer War?  The Wiki entries would suggest that he did, but his army records don't confirm this: there seems to be an almost 2-year gap between him enlisting and being posted.

I've tried to link the Wiki pages about the KSA and the QSA unsuccessfully, but they're not hard to find.

Any help would be appreciated  ;)

Clara

ETA: this has given me major brain-ache this afternoon...
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boer war service: can anyone explain this?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clara

Do you have page 4 of his enlistment papers? At the top is a summary of where he served - Home - South Africa etc. The first date against home should be when he enlisted/attested. The second date is when he went overseas. Any time against South Africa would include about three weeks at sea, both at the start and when returning to Home.. To qualify for the QSA he would have had to arrive by May 1902. To earn the KSA he would have had to serve a total of 18 months in SA, including at least one day in 1901 and one day in 1902.

Half way down is a section for campaigns and medals. You should also check the question on page one about any previous military service. He may have been in SA with one of the many irregular mounted infantry units created. Although why he would swop 5s day with one of them for 1s 1d a day with the Regulars would make it unlikely.

On Page 3 is a list of his promotions and which battalion he served with. It would start D (for depot) then either 1st or 2nd.

Ken

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 10 21:43 GMT (UK) »
hi Ken, thanks so much for replying.

Just to clarify: the copies of my grandfather's army records are really difficult to read (obviously damaged during WW2).  None of the pages that I have, have a number (or one that I can see/read).

The headings at the top of some of the pages say: Corps in which ?serving (difficult to read)/ Battn or Depot/Promotions, Reductions, Casualties, &c/Army Rank/Dates/ Service not allowed to reckon for fixing the rate of pension/Service in reserve not allowed to reckon towards GC pay/ Signature of officers, etc.

On one of the pages is when my grandfather enlisted/attested (25 Oct 1900), and this is stated as being '28 New Kent Road, SE' (there is no record of previous service prior to 1900).  On another page of his records, the 25 Oct 1900 is crossed out and underneath it says that my grandfather joined the army at Birr (HQ of the Leinsters) on 27 October 1900 (another confusing bit of info: how could he have got there from London in 2 days at that time?).

Anyway, literally the next entry half an inch underneath, says (and I'm using the headings I've given above), Leinster/2nd/Posted/Pte/11.9.02/nil/nil/indistinct signature.  Therefore there seems to be an almost 2-year gap in his army records.

On another page, there are details about my grandfather's medals: but they all related to WW1 (1914-15 Star, British something (can't read it), and Victory Medal - there is no mention of Boer War medals).

I have a couple of photos of my grandfather, when he was posted with the Leinsters to India in 1910-14, and it shows him wearing his Boer War ribbons.  He's obviously got them, but I can't tie it up with his army record.

Thanks for any further help,

Clara  :)

ETA: and I actually have these Boer War ribbons in my sweaty palms!
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 10 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara

Can we assume that this is taken from a record on Ancestry? If so it would be helpful if you were to open the link, then cut and paste the address (the one starting http://). Rather than trying to explain what it looks like.

Ken

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 March 10 09:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Ken, I only have a hard copy of the record which I photocopied at TNA a few years ago; and unfortunately my Ancestry sub has run out.  Not much help I'm afraid!

My grandfather's army record is on Ancestry so when I subscribe again (which should be soon), I'll post a link.

Many thanks for your help

Clara

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 March 10 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara

If you post his name and number will can still have a look.

Ken

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 March 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ken.  His name is James Aloysius Smith, service no. 6228, born in Canada in 1881.

Many thanks

Clara

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
hi Ken

Don't mean to hassle, but I wondered if you had managed to access my g-father's service records?  If not, no problem - it was always a difficult query unless people could actually see the records I was referring to.

best wishes

Clara  :)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Having seen in WWI that the army lost one brother's record form and added him to his brothers record !, I'm wondering if they lost your grandfather's original record and two years later had to make out another form. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke