Author Topic: WW2,Can anyone identify my Dads regiment?  (Read 26586 times)

Offline Guinevere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Save the Earth, its the only planet with chocolate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2,Can anyone identify my Dads regiment?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smokey,wow thats news to me,and thank you i had no idea,that probably complicates things more i guess,lolol.
I think im never going to get to bottom of this.Thankyou for that valuable information.Love Ann.xx :D
DUBBER,in  U.K,all counties,especially Hampshire,but  worldwide interests in all Dubber surnames.
CRITCHLOW,especially from Staffordshire.
SWORN,from Staffordshire areas,and surrounding.
COLLINS.From Hampshire,especially portsmouth and surrounding areas

http://www.communigate.co.uk/hants/dubbersurname/index.phtml

Any-one who thinks sun-shine is happiness,has never danced in the rain!.

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Is there any chance your father was in a reserved occupation perhaps and in the Home Guard rather than the Army?  As you can see from this link the uniform was similar.   

http://www.portsdown-tunnels.org.uk/events/portsdown_ww2_photos_p3.html

My grandad was a joiner and worked at the local airport repairing planes but was also in the Home Guard.  If your Dad stayed local to Hampshire and wasn't in the Hampshire Regiment maybe this is a possibility?  I also read somewhere that members of the Home Guard even went on 'commando' type operations so had to be secretive about their activities !!

Debbie

Offline Guinevere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbiedee,thanks for your reply,no Dad was a full time soldier and was demobbed after the war ended,that would have been another lead,only i know he was a full time soldier,thats about all i do know,lol.
Such a mystery he left me to untangle,its had me tearing my hair out a few times lolol. take care love Ann.xxxxxx ;)
DUBBER,in  U.K,all counties,especially Hampshire,but  worldwide interests in all Dubber surnames.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

I will go along with another poster in this thread, if you can come up with a picture of your dad's cap badge, I am sure we could identify the Regiment for you.
It's one of my boring hobbies I am told!! I collect them.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Guinevere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,sadly the cap badge is not seen very well,as the pics are so old and taken obviously on a very cheap camera,as in those days you had to be rich to have a good camera,Ive tried everything to enhance the cap badge but to no avail,it would be so simple as you say many people collect them,and could readily identify it.its maddening for me believe me i have tried to get the photo sorted so you can see it,but cant seem to find anyone to do it thanks anyway.Love Ann.xx ;)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Sorry to hear that, are you sure there are no other photo's hidden away?
Also I am very surprised that you cannot find your dads Army papers. I have yet to hear of any old serviceman throwing theirs away. I still have mine after nearly forty years out. (The Senior Service by the way) 

Keep looking through all those old boxes etc, you may strike it lucky, who knows!!
Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Guinevere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,no i dont have anything at all,Dad didnt keep anything as far as we know,as our family is estranged sadly which breaks my heart,i have no way of getting anything at all,i was lucky to get these 3 pictures that ive put in the message,it is so annoying to have so little stuff,even the Army wanted his number or something and i had nothing,they still charged me £25 for not searching even though we have a rare surname,its so very frustrating,i hope i have more luck when i ask for my grandads Army files he was a sapper in ww1 i only found that out by a birth certificate i got for an uncle,purely by chance,i think it was the royal engineers,im not very good at whos called private or whos a sapper,i dont even know what a sapper is im so dumb!.lolol thankyou so very much im getting so many lovely messages here,its helping me in a way,and i truly hope someone can help me,as im stumped.lolol take care love Ann.xx :) ;)

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Having blown up the cap badge on the 'seafront' photo as much as possible (the cap looks as though it is a beret , on the back of the head) until the pixels distort the image too much, I am certain there is a fairly distinctive 'almost Maltese' cross shape there.....which could mean Bucks, Berks or Wilts Regmt.

In the absence of anything, you have to start somewhere.......

The uniform is British Army.....although the 'dark' picture is confusing....it does look RAF...even with the two buttons on the side hat....(I have got one here).:
but I still reckon it's Army.

For Salty.....Essex Regmt dress cap with silver Egypt badge of interest?

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,
       The building in the background in the middle picture has a name on it. possibly a hotel. Is it possable  to get these photos rescanned at a higher resoluton so  we can have a good look.

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)