Author Topic: Tadley Parish  (Read 4011 times)

Offline lynnv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tadley Parish
« on: Sunday 28 March 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
If anyone is able to lookup registers for this parish I would be most indebted and grateful to them.
I am looking for the parents of James Saunders. On the IGI entry for his marriage in 1832  his birth year is given as 1807 but no parents names are given. There are many entries for Saunders in Tadley and usually it is given as being in the county of Hampshire although on his marriage entry it is given as Berkshire so I intend to post this thread there as well.
 James married Elizabeth in 1832 ( I dont know her surname so if its not too much of an ask can this be checked?) and is on 1841 census as living in Tadley1832. Most grateful Lynn :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tadley Parish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

That IGI submitted entry isn't reliable as evidence of anything, so I'd be careful of setting off on a wild-goose chase. Somebody has guessed that there was a marriage between James and an Elizabeth in Tadley in 1832 (probably because they baptised a child there the following year), and then guessed that James would have been 25 and Elizabeth 21 at the time of marriage, and then guessed that if they were married in Tadley they must have been born there too.

Did James survive until the 1851 census, when birthplaces are given?

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 10 17:45 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census shows Elizabeth SAUNDERS as a married 38 yr old ag lab's wife born Baughurst, Hants - living in Tadley Road, Tadley with daughters Ellen (12) and Mary Ann (5) both born Tadley.

Next door is what may well be the parents of her husband James - namely James SAUNDERS (64, ag lab, b Tadley) and wife Sarah (73 b Wootton).  They have three grandsons with them - James (17), William (15) and John (10) SAUNDERS, all born Tadley.

HO107/1684/305/2.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 10 17:49 BST (UK) »
The birth certificate for one of the daughters should give you Elizabeth's maiden name.

Here's Ellen (12 in 1851);

Birth Dec qtr 1838

Ellen SAUNDERS

Kingsclere 7 94

Offline EwshotLad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 10 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

The following info is from Tadley  Transcripts

Marriages

27DEC1809 JAMES SAUNDERS to JANE WEST--- Entry reads both of this parish and one wit was Joseph West

27OCT1821 JOHN SAUNDERS to ELIZABETH GRANGER

8JAN1831 JAMES SAUNDERS to SARAH WILKINS

Baptisms

Children of JAMES & JANE

20APR1809  JAMES

Children of JOHN & ELIZABETH

16DEC1821   JOHN
10AUG1823   JAMES
24OCT1824   RICHARD
28JAN1827    DAVID
27APR1829   JANE
24JUL1831    ABRAHAM
10NOV1833  MATILDA
29NOV1835  WILLIAM

Children of JAMES & ELIZABETH

31DEC1833  JAMES
10MAY1835  WILLIAM
12FEB1837   JANE
2DEC1838    ELLEN
17OCT1840  JOHN

a JANE SAUNDERS was buried 20NOV 1829

Hope this helps. Check Berkshire for missing details. No marriage for James and Elizabeth in Hampshire.

Vic Wise
Brisbane Oz

Offline lynnv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all you help on this.
Ewshotlad can I ask a question please ? IGI has a marriage for James Saunders to Elizabeth( no surname) 1832 Tadley, Berks(??) do you have any info on this?
Also I have a birth for Sarah Withers IGI 30/3/1777 Wotton under Edge Gloucester( on 1851 census Sarah Saunders gives birthplace as Wootton).  Marriage James Saunders 27/3/1806 Romsey, Hants do you think I am barking up wrong tree with this line?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
Tadley is in Hampshire, not Berkshire and as Vic has already indicated there is no marriage record in the Tadley registers - or anywhere else in Hampshire - in 1832 for a marriage of James Saunders to an Elizabeth.  :(

The record that you have found on the IGI is a submitted one, which means that this may be based on some research or it could just be a guess.  Given that there appears to be no record, I think you may have to look elsewhere for the marriage.

There is a parish called Wootton St Lawrence in Hampshire.  Which county does it give for Sarah's birth?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynnv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 April 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell for ur reply. Have checked 1851 and it is Wootton, Hampshire given for birthplace of Sarah Saunders

Offline EwshotLad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 April 10 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

I am guessing that the burial in Nov1829 was Jane Saunders [nee West] wife of James and the marriage in 1831 to Sarah Wilkins was his second marriage so the Sarah Saunders in Tadley is in fact Sarah Wilkins.

James 1809 is listed as a Broom maker in 1841 so may be an Itinerant which is why he is not on the 1851 Census.

In 1851 Elizabeth and her daughters Ellen and Mary Ann are living amongst West families who are also Broom makers. My Tadley Bowman ancestors were also Broom makers.

As Anna said you probably need to buy a birth certificate for Ellen.

Good Luck
Vic