Author Topic: Chesterfield Union Workhouse  (Read 6634 times)

Offline LincsLinks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chesterfield Union Workhouse
« on: Sunday 28 March 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how to access a census for a workhouse when I don't have a specific name for which to search? Also, I wonder if anyone knows the actual address for this workhouse?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield Union Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

If you don't have a specific name - how will you know who to look for?

There is a list of 1881 inmates on the following link

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Liverpool/Liverpool.shtml

Select Workhouse Locations/English Poor Law Unions/Derbyshire/Chesterfield

Scroll down to Inmates

Re: address  - you will find that info in the above link
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline LincsLinks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 10 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, CaroleW! Yes, I had the 1881 census from that site but wanted the 1891 & the 1901 from general census records so I could follow through staff names.
As for the address, I wanted the specific one for Chesterfield which would have been used for putting on the birth certificate if a child had been born there but which didn't broadcast the fact it was a workhouse!

Offline taylorkit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 September 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
on the 1871 census it is listed as district poor law union workhouse. its address was actually 12A newbold road and the site later became the registration office , the scarsdale hospital and is now a residential developement incorporating some of the original hospital building. My maternal ancestors were incarcerated there in 1866 when their mother died of typhoid. the chesterfield "reflections " free magazine had a comprehensive article about it within the last 18 months and the local theatre did a  play about it. many inmates were buried at the small christ church on sheffield road

Offline LincsLinks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 September 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much! It was a long time ago that I asked this question so hadn't expected such a reply. Now I will go back to that bit of my 'trail'!

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much! It was a long time ago that I asked this question so hadn't expected such a reply. Now I will go back to that bit of my 'trail'!
Have just come across this posting via google . I also have a birth certificate giving this address is anyone able to tell me what was actually at this address in 1951
many thanks

Offline LizTJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 July 17 00:43 BST (UK) »
Could have been a maternity hospital in 1951, certainly it was a maternity hospital late 50's and into 1960's - my son was born there in 1965.
Liz