Author Topic: ingleton windwill  (Read 10119 times)

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ingleton windwill
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 June 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I have not as yet found a picture, but will send you a copy if I do. Sorry also for not replying sooner - I have been away.
I was interested in your information about the mill. In the 1841 census, Thomas and Matthew Lee were both working at Ingleton windmill for Robert Colman. Was he your great great grandfather, or had he already sold the mill on?
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Bluejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes Robert Colman was my 4xGr grandfather and he still owned the mill in 1841.
He put the mill up for sale in 1841
It was advertised in the Newcastle Courant on 12 march 1841.
We never knew who he sold the mill to, so its nice to find that snippet of information.
Do you have any further info on the mill, or on the sale of the mill to your relatives?
If I find a photo of the mill then I too will be happy to send you a copy.
Kind Regards
John Colman

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thomas Lee didn't buy the mill straight away. He probably didn't have the money. He and his brother went off to run Alwent Mill at Gainford, a water mill. He bought Ingleton Mill some time in the 1850s and the 1861 census described him as a "master miller". I haven't as yet found a record of his purchase of the mill.When Thomas went bankrupt in 1895, the notice in The Northern Echo descibed the mill as being "in a good state of repair and fully equipped for doing a large business" . The mill came with an 8 roomed house and large walled garden. There was also a 2 roomed cottage for the cartman and an acre of grassland. 24 hens went with the property.

It may have seemed "fully equipped for doing a large business", but a few years later, some other owners also went bankrupt.

Offline Bluejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I dont know when the mill was actually sold. The only info I have is the advert in the paper for march 1841.
The info you have given me is very interesting.
Thank you for sharing that with me
Regards
John

Offline Lynne Adamson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 August 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
I'm fascinated by all you've all got to say ....I noticed in the 1911 census that Fredrick was still at the mill as a boarder although he was now a widower with his sons married ...Arthur being my grandma's dad...and also wondered who the the little girl was at the mill in 1841 called Dorothy Coleman she was 3 ...cos Robert Coleman was 70 by then ..Thomas and Matthew in their twenties

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 August 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
Good to hear from you about your link with the Ingleton Lees via Frederick, who stuck with Ingleton despite all the family problems., though I hadn't noticed he was boarding at the mill in 1911. We had a look round Ingleton churchyard a few weeks back, when we were doing a walk in that area. Couldn't find any Lee tombstones (not surprising after their financial problems at the mill) but found several of their in-laws the Todds.

Offline Lynne Adamson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 August 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
We had a look around the graveyard a few weeks ago too my father was bought up in ingleton Eva Lee his mother married dick bowles . the bowles and Lee's where at ingleton for generations ..,I have a lovely pic of the whole family over a hundred years ago outside netherbrooms which is one of the last houses in the village we have just been working out who was on it with my parents tonight. But no lees on it ...do you have any photos of them ...so we must share Thomas Lee ....the Miller as a common ancestor....pic is off my grandma ...Eva Lee....daughter of Arthur ....granddaughter of Frederick....great granddaughter of Thomas ....

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have lots of photos for Lees, because my mother was a Lee. I don't, however, have any of Thomas or any of his children. I do have a photo of Herbert Lee, who was Alf's son and therefore Thomas's grandson, and also my grandfather. I only have the one photo, because he died quite young. It is currently stuck in an album, so I'll see haw easy it is to get it out. (I did the sticking, so I expect it will be very easy. I am not the most skilled of people at doing anything requiring cutting and sticking).
 I was wondering how much information you had about the family before Thomas? Let me know what you have, and I'll send on anything extra that I have. I see you have a link for your email address, so I could use that to send attachments.

Offline Lynne Adamson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
 my dad's great grandfather was Frederick brother of your grandad alf .....work that one out lol.....we are related a long way back ...my dad has some photos of Fredericks son arthur Lee my dad's grandfather ...so that makes him Thomas lees grandson also ...how complicated is that ...I will get it and send it ....apparently he was a lovely gentle man ...my father says that Thomas Lee was mighty strong hauling bags of flour around and was famous in the area for his strength but my grandmother Eva was very petite with dark auburn hair and brown eyes she was very pretty...I wonder if any more of the lees married bowles es as they all lived in ingleton ,Langton area for generations .....great to swap stories