Author Topic: Cameron gravestones DARVEL  (Read 5192 times)

Offline bigcheese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron gravestones DARVEL
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 October 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Am starting to think it might be Muirhead by comparing the water course directions and meandering from ROY to 19th century OS . that would also fit your theory of “Longuide”being Longgreen as on both maps Lonngreen is placed following a continuos line from where the Loch Burn meets Glen Water.

Also Heugh translates as crag, glen , cliff, ravine etc . Possibly closer to Muirhead given the topographics of that and Longgreen

Fascinating stuff !

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 October 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
 Now I'm not sure if the Roy map reads "Longuide" or "Longside" (I was looking on my phone this morning, now I'm on my laptop ) - but regardless I think this relates to Longgreen .
Would agree with Muirhead being located in the region of the long gone Pischenheuch.
Muirhead is recorded on the 1841 & 1851 Censuses as Moorhead.

Looby :)

Offline gilbert cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 October 19 21:25 GMT (UK) »
https://maps.nls.uk/view/00000419

I don't see Pischinheuch on this one but less detail than Roy's map.

Offline bigcheese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 October 19 09:46 GMT (UK) »
some of the names are defo familiar, alongside some artistic licence in scaling it has to be said

There's also a Cameron's Moss showing on some later maps near Whitelee hill some 5.5 m direct NW of Loudounhill Farm  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=55.6554&lon=-4.3296&layers=1&b=1

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 October 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I think for any confimation, you will need to look at the sassines and charters.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline bigcheese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Agnes. Never looked at them before. What’s the most accessible way to them please ?

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Probably the best information at that level is to contact the archives in Edinburgh or Glasgow https://www.ros.gov.uk/our-registers. Although many documents have been accrued by the government offices, there may still be some in private archives such as Mount Stuart in Rothesay. Many of the documents for Loudoun have been scattered i.e. some military records for the 4th Earl are in California University. I would think either the Edinburgh or Glasgow offices would be of more help, at least they may know where to get the information. If you lived in Ayr or Glasgow, you could probably access the index to the Register of Sassines or the Great Seal volumes from the local libraries, but in either case there, it would take a lot of time trawling through them. The Great Seal is about 11 volumes of minor charters with only the last few volumes in English then further back, in Latin.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline bigcheese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Agnes, will try some of that, and dust-off my amo amas amat et al !

Offline MatthewCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 April 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all - been doing more research, very interested in the idea that Pischinheuch might be Muirhead, and how this may relate to Covenanter history in the area. Does anyone have further resources on Covenanter Camerons in the Galston and Loudoun parishes?

If Pischinheuch is Muirhead, it sounds like it may have been inhabited by Camerons throughout the 17th century. Cameron of Pischinheuch is listed as the forebear of the Loudoun Hill Camerons in at least one family history, then John Cameron is listed as the first Cameron to have possession of Loudoun Hill farm in 1618. (Source: http://www.decorateit.ca/cameron/cameronfamily_tree.htm)

Meanwhile at the end of the century there was another John Cameron living at Muirhead, a descendant of a younger son of the Loudoun Hill line according to that same family history. According to the Baptisms Index, John Cameron at Muirhead was the father of Janet born 1675, Margaret born 1678, and Thomas born 1687.
(Source: https://www.ayrshireroots.co.uk/Genealogy/Surnames/Cameron/Camerons%20of%20Loudoun.htm)

Also in the 1684 Fugitive Rolls, under Galston Parish there is this listing:
"Cameron, Thomas, in Muirhead (NS 551 348), [in Galston parish, listed under] Loudon parish, Ayrshire"
(Source: https://drmarkjardine.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/covenanters/)

It's hard not to think that Thomas born in 1687 was most likely named for Thomas who was declared a fugitive in 1684. Also it is notable John and his wife had no children born during the worst of the "Killing Time," from 1679 to 1687.

I would love to hear any further thoughts or leads connected to this. For the record, I am doing research on my 6th g-grandfather Thomas Camron (he preferred this spelling), who sailed from Belfast to Charleston, SC in 1767 and died in Elbert County, GA sometime after 1793. Through a y-DNA test I have found out I very likely share a common male ancestor with the Loudoun Hill Camerons within the timespan they were at Loudoun Hill. (Thank you Gilbert for the help with that!) And the main thing everyone says about my ancestor Thomas was that he was a strict "old Covenanter," devoted to the Westminster Catechism and John Knox. His father was also named John, according to family tradition, and born around 1715. Then Thomas named his eldest son John so it seems likely that was indeed his father's name, based on the Scottish naming tradition.

The Thomas Cameron born 1687 at Muirhead, son of John, married Isobel Reid in 1714, then disappeared from local history. It seems possible they could have left the area after being married, especially given the new opportunities provided by the Act of Union in 1707, and had a son within the year and named him John, after Thomas' father, and when that son grew up he would have named his eldest son Thomas too. But who knows...

Any information, leads, or ideas anyone has are much appreciated!