Author Topic: Walter Henry HAINES  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Walter Henry HAINES
« on: Tuesday 30 March 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
On the 1911 in Glanford Brigg, Lincolnshire I found Walter Henry Haines, who was born Amystroy (Aymestrey), Herefordshire, c1893.  I wasn't actually looking for him, I was looking for Frederick Harry Barker, his wife Emily and his family.  Walter Henry Haines was noted as being 'nephew' to the head of the household.  The maiden name of Frederick's wife was Haines, so wondered if that was the connection. - I have ordered the marriage certificate for Frederick and Emily, so at this point, I am not sure who her father is.

I looked on the 1901 for Walter, thinking that might throw up a few clues and found him with George Miles and two of his children in Baschurch, Shropshire.  Walter was 'nephew' to the head of the household.  So, it seems we have a connection between the Haines and Miles families.

Now, going back to the wife of Frederick Barker, Emily.  I have searched and searched but not found her on a census as Emily Haines.  I did have a couple of clues from the 1911 in that she was born c1868, Clun, Shropshire.  So, I thought, I wonder if the names have been transcribed differently and I found Emma Haynes, born c1968, Clun, Shropshire, daughter of George and Sarah Haynes. 

I then looked for a marriage for George and Sarah Haynes and found George Haynes married Sarah Miles in 1854 at Clun, Shropshire.  That would *appear* to explain the Haines/Haynes and Miles connection.

At this point, my brain is turning into mashed potato deciding:

1.  Which one of the children of George and Sarah Haynes is the father of Walter Henry Haynes? - Noting that they have a son also called Walter.

2.  Is Emily Haines, born c1868, Clun, Shropshire the same person as Emma Haynes born c 1868, Clun Shropshire? - I think it is a good possibilty.

3.  Or has my brain just gone into meltdown over it all.   ???
KILLEY, MULCARE, FAIRCLOUGH, GRIFFITH, BREADNER, Lancashire, England.
BROOKS, COLE, PURCHASE, MAY, LITTELL, HOWELL, MULCARE, CANE, East London, England.
GODDARD, Saffron Walden, Essex
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex
WALKINSHAW, Walthamstow, Essex
BEANEY, Walthamstow, Essex

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Henry HAINES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
on freebmd
mar qtr 1906 Frederick Harry Barker to Emily Haines  Wrexham 11b  303   
frederick Harry Barker b march qtr 1874 Wrexham  11b 304
is this your Frederick and Emily ?

Walter Henry Haines b june qtr 1892 reg at Leominster  6a 510   
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, they are the Fred and Emily/Emma I have been researching.  :)

I have some certificates here and Emily/Emma variations are in both.
KILLEY, MULCARE, FAIRCLOUGH, GRIFFITH, BREADNER, Lancashire, England.
BROOKS, COLE, PURCHASE, MAY, LITTELL, HOWELL, MULCARE, CANE, East London, England.
GODDARD, Saffron Walden, Essex
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex
WALKINSHAW, Walthamstow, Essex
BEANEY, Walthamstow, Essex

Offline rch427

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello --

I found this thread while searching for any information about one Walter Haines, born in Rock Hill, Shropshire in 1827.  I'm afraid I don't know Shropshire very well, and "Rock Hill" seems to not be a place name to turn up in my research, although it may be an old place-name in or near Ludlow. 

I wonder if this Walter Haines is the same Walter Haines who sailed from Britain to the US, arriving in 1834, aged 6 years.  And, not that it was an uncommon name, but this Walter fathered a son named Robert Frederick Haines; a curious coincidence, since your Haineses include a Frederick.  (As you know, given names are often repeated down the generations; I'm the 4th Robert Haines in a row.)

Could you please tell me if this person or place fits with any of the genealogical records you have already uncovered for your Haineses of Shropshire?

Regards --

Robert Haines

On the 1911 in Glanford Brigg, Lincolnshire I found Walter Henry Haines, who was born Amystroy (Aymestrey), Herefordshire, c1893.  I wasn't actually looking for him, I was looking for Frederick Harry Barker, his wife Emily and his family.  Walter Henry Haines was noted as being 'nephew' to the head of the household.  The maiden name of Frederick's wife was Haines, so wondered if that was the connection. - I have ordered the marriage certificate for Frederick and Emily, so at this point, I am not sure who her father is.

I looked on the 1901 for Walter, thinking that might throw up a few clues and found him with George Miles and two of his children in Baschurch, Shropshire.  Walter was 'nephew' to the head of the household.  So, it seems we have a connection between the Haines and Miles families.

Now, going back to the wife of Frederick Barker, Emily.  I have searched and searched but not found her on a census as Emily Haines.  I did have a couple of clues from the 1911 in that she was born c1868, Clun, Shropshire.  So, I thought, I wonder if the names have been transcribed differently and I found Emma Haynes, born c1968, Clun, Shropshire, daughter of George and Sarah Haynes. 

I then looked for a marriage for George and Sarah Haynes and found George Haynes married Sarah Miles in 1854 at Clun, Shropshire.  That would *appear* to explain the Haines/Haynes and Miles connection.

At this point, my brain is turning into mashed potato deciding:

1.  Which one of the children of George and Sarah Haynes is the father of Walter Henry Haynes? - Noting that they have a son also called Walter.

2.  Is Emily Haines, born c1868, Clun, Shropshire the same person as Emma Haynes born c 1868, Clun Shropshire? - I think it is a good possibilty.

3.  Or has my brain just gone into meltdown over it all.   ???