Author Topic: Marine Store Dealer  (Read 10246 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marine Store Dealer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
How does this differ from what I posted 

What?

I was only interested if, when you searched the term further, you found that what the term meant was different to what I said.

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 April 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
This is an interesting topic. 
Just to add to the list, I too have a marine store dealer in St Helens run by a John Murphy who is Irish and lives with his sister and later his wife, he isnt technically mine but only adopted one of 'my' orphan children.
ARNOLD, PARTINGTON, FOSTER in StHelens
BEBBINGTON, FINDLOW in Northwich
BURROWS,Billinge,Northwich
DUMBILL/DUMBELL, Gt Sankey, St Helens
EDMUNDSON in Northumberland, Warrington, St Helens, Manchester
HENDERSON, Northumberland,St Helens
LIPTROTT, Billinge
BURROWS, Billinge, Northwich

BOAST, Suffolk,Widnes,St Helens :-
http://rattyclan.tribalpages.com/

https://sites.google.com/view/ss-samwater

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 January 12 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Just to add somethings from my research. I have several marine store dealers in my ancestry. They are not from gypsy stock and seem to have taken up the trade, just I think as a way to make a living. Sometimes they describe themselves as general dealers. Because when I first uncovered them they were living in coastal or river areas of Kent I took it as a literal trade in goods related to nautical vessels, however having found some who were living inland it does appear to refer to a broader dealership in waste materials as described by stanmapstone. And yes some did get in trouble for receiving stolen goods!

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 January 12 15:16 GMT (UK) »
My 2g grandfather was a marine store dealer - which initially intrigued me as he lived in Bedfordshire - not only is the county landlocked, but every county it borders is landlocked too.

As well as a marine store dealer he described himself as a general dealer and rag and bone man.  With the British Newspaper Archive I've also found recently that he was a convicted diamond thief and stole clothes from his parents and sisters to sell.

Not aware of any Gypsy connections on that side though - his family appears to have been publicans and dealers for some years before he was born and reasonably settled in one area.

R
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 January 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
If you look at my post you will see that although a gypsy could be a marine-store dealer, a marine-store dealer was not necessarily anything to do with gypsies. There were 1,550 marine-store dealers in the 1851 census, and 3,656 in 1861.
If you search for 'marine store dealer' in occupation in the 1881 census, there are 2,566 listed and they are located all over the country.
Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 February 19 19:29 GMT (UK) »
My Great  grandfather from  Sheffield  was a Marine Store Dealer, it was in the family, he  used  his second name   sometimes , then  his first name , moved and brought it with them Marine Sore Dealer, I guessed it  wasn't  a great job, was   told he sold a forest through the demon drink, that could be  another story