Author Topic: Wire Drawer / Weaver  (Read 10565 times)

Offline Sam Stoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wire Drawer / Weaver
« on: Wednesday 31 March 10 01:24 BST (UK) »
My nephew has a number of ancestors who are Wire Drawers, for example, Philip Foskett (b. 1840) is listed as a brass wire drawer in the 1851 and 1861 census, and later a wire weaver on his marriage certificate.  This seems to have been a family business over about three generations, first in London before moving to Newcastle Upon Tyne.  One census lists other metals besides brass.

Does anyone know exactly what a wire drawer or weaver does? What was the end product?

Researching; Biggins, Clark, Cardella, Calder.  All based in Northumberland or Durham.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wire Drawer / Weaver
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 01:38 BST (UK) »
It appears that they made wire from metal. And the end product was .... wire. :)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08bs/

I can only guess at what the weaver would have made. Strong wire ropes? Perhaps something related to the shipping trade?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
From "A Dictionary of Occupational Terms"
Wire Weaver; weaves wire into mesh or other forms usually by machine; places bobbins of wire on spindles and feeds wire from bobbins through guides in machibe; sets gauges and changes gears of machine as required, according to nature of mesh; watches machine for faulty working, and rejoins broken wires.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 09:08 BST (UK) »
Also From "A Dictionary of Occupational Terms"
Wire Drawer; (i) see wire drawer, automatic; (ii) (hand operation) makes wire on a draw bench; setsdies or plates; hammers, files, and rolls end of rod to push through die; engages end with pincers and pulls rods through dies of decreasing diameter until required size is obtained; sometimes specifically designated according to the wire drawn.
An Automatic Wire Drawer did the same job on a continuous drawing machine.

Stan

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Stan - does it give anything for 'wire cleaner', please?  (I expect he cleaned wire, duh, but any details would be interesting  :))
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
A Wire Cleaner dipped, by means of a hand-worked winch, coils of wire into a bath of hot water and lime; admitted steam through a valve to maintain the temperature, then removed the coils and dipped them in an acid bath, removed and allowed to dry in preparation for drawing.

Stan

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Ta muchly, Stan, I hadn't been able to find much on that.  Quite a hazardous job, then.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.