Author Topic: help with romany links  (Read 31817 times)

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: help with romany links
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 January 11 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Just curious. Are the surnames Arnold and Eastwood  Romany names?
Thankyou.
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 January 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stomper,

Yes,definately.

John Arnold married Mercy Huckstep 29/11/1834 St Johns,Margate.

Sons:

John married Sophia Hedges March quart 1858 Romford.

Alfred to Frances(Fanny) Eastwood,not married.

Edwin married 1st Selina Hedges 05/07/1866 Plumstead.

2nd Keziah Broadwood june quart 1891 Chatham.

I believe Arnolds stopped at Eastwoods Yard,and many settled in Medway.

Nel.

Offline Sal1525

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 14:21 GMT (UK) »
hello nelwild,

Have sent you a personal PM.
Jordan. Bartlett. Arnold. Beaney. Pickett. Brazil.  Huckstep. Eastwood. Potter. Dighton. French----Kent. Bucks. Essex. Sussex. London.  Kirby. Martin----Ireland.
Brewin. Gregory. Dixon. Merchant. Welsh. Leicestershire. Lincolnshire.

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 February 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi rob g

My GG-gran is a Harriet cooper A Romany Gypsy who married a Gorier Does that mean i have Romany blood as most of my grandparents in my tree are Romany? Lots with occ/as Hawkers and dealers/and horse dealers
 And my G-gran they called a Tinker whats a tinker is it irish? as there is colouring of ginger in the family. So the Romany and tinker on my dads side. The curds,penfolds etc

on my mums side there is Traveller connections foster and lovetts. Are Romany and tinkers and Traveller the same sort of people?

jew
:)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 February 11 10:46 GMT (UK) »
hi, jew, well, rakli (..young woman..) there are so many romany names in your tree that it is a wonder that you are not out..dukkering!(..fortune telling..) any way cooper, penfold, foster,and lovet, sometimes lovell or just love, are all really old romany names.so you are of romany blood. as to the occupations, i have given lots before, but here are some to look for, earthenware dealer/potter. horse trader,basket weavers . hawker, general dealers, tinker?.. repairer of tin wares pots pans etc..olso fish sellers.as in barrals of herring etc from a cart. rag trades, and as gypsy men and women, have allways turned a hand to anything you can find lots more. my g.father used to gather lockings,..sheeps wool off cuts.. and scrap, also sold fruit from a cart, as for the relationship of travellers to each other it is very complicated, but i wil try to explain with out taking too long.first there are true romanygypsy/black faced. then romany travellers, inter married with the gypsy for centurys. tinker folk can be english but there are lots of scottish and irish in this group.also travelling hawkers. and others who for one reason or another...ie.. irish famine..scots highland clearances, and olso the welsh, etc, joined the romany on the road.so now there are all travellers, but with very different ways. but with a comman language,rumnus..romany, and many shared values, also we have all inter married with each other to the extent it is hard to find any one among us who is not related in some way to another? one of the earliest romany names is lee, starting in epping forrest. there is too much romany history to go into, but try romany genes site, and there are lots of online sites worth a look. be proud of your romany roots we are a great people, who have allways found a way to live,.. cushty bok..(good luck.) in romany ..rob.g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 February 11 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Tinker is a trade name - it means a tinsmith, someone who mends pots n pans etc. It was a trade often carried out by travelling people, whether they were Irish travelling folks or English. The name Tinker came to mean Irish travellers in the olden days, its generally not used now - Most Irish travellers would prefer you called them just that, or Pavee which is their name for themselves. Unfortunatly, the name Tinker like Gypsy can have negative derogatory connotations these days, so be careful about using it. Just a friendly bit of information. :)

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 February 11 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi rob
sorry i could not get back before hand i was busy... Thanks for your info.. Black face gipsy don't know who these people are?  I have lots of romany names in my tree.. The fosters in my famiy are dark skinned runs in the family my G-grandad a foster also married a lovett who are dark skinned. And found my brookers who are dark skinned.. I have lots of hawkers,pedlers,dealers in the family.. My curds and markets stalls,veg shops,and one was the biggest horse dealer in the south of england who married a kezia taylor. There is a book wrote about my lovett family with my fosters,also in the book tells a story about my GGG-grandad who married kezia,about his horse dealing. He used to buy the horses from the robert family,who moved to wales from sussex.. I have more names in my tree,millers,skinners etc. so proud of my history. My potters some came from sussex need to know about them. Anyany thanks need to write this info down you gave me. The tinker not sure if mine came from Ireland,as there id ginger hair in the family..

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 February 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
An65

Thank-you for your message. Great to know what a tinker is.. ps i wont use the name lol! Don't want to upset anyone.

jew

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 February 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi rob

Dukkering) I've always wanted to do this,maybe it runs in the family lol!

jew