Author Topic: help with romany links  (Read 31711 times)

Offline Claire333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with romany links
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi trying to find things out on Charles hassell
Rebecca Moses and the Cody family. My nan never spoke much about her past

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi. Claire. Moses. And cody. Surnames have romany connections. Don't know about hassle? Try romany gene's site. But the best advice I can give.  Is start with your own family. Going as far back as you can. See what they do for a living. And who they are married to. When you have any further information.  Get back. And I will try to help. ..Rob.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline sure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 18:03 BST (UK) »
Out of them brothers you put up there Ben Gentle was my grandfather. Also he had 9 sons and he left England to go to Ireland. Also he was burried in Killkenny. Ben's wife was called Nora Hall and she came from Kent. The name of the 9 brothers:
George, Roy, Bill, Fred, Johno, Edward, Pato, Arthur and Jim. They are all dead now.  And we were Romany Gypsy's. Ben Gentle was a horse dealer. And if you want to know any more just ask.

Offline kathbn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 May 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
hello Arthur
do you anything about John Gentle  he was Bens older brother  I know he married Charlotte MARSHALL but did they have any family? BENS twin George died 1901  and John GENTLE paid for buriel .Benalso had adaughter Hester but she died very young.Do you know anything about William Gentle who married MARY ANN BRYAN  WALLSALL STAFFORDSHIRE HOPE to hear from you soon
Regards Kath

Offline sure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 June 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Bill Gentle, my uncle, used to live in Golburn, Lanks.  Also Annie, your aunt, used to live in Plank lane  because I went to see her with my Dad, Mum, Uncle Bill and aunt; you had another cousin that lived in Leigh and his name was Jim Gentle and his wife Lily. Another cousin also lived around that area caleed Connie who owned 5, 6 or more houses.

Offline sure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 June 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
Out of them brothers you put up there Ben Gentle was my grandfather. Also he had 9 sons and he left England to go to Ireland. Also he was burried in Killkenny. Ben's wife was called Nora Hall and she came from Kent and my father was called Johno Gentle. The name of the 9 brothers:
George, Roy, Bill, Fred, Johno, Edward, Pato, Arthur and Jim. They are all dead now. And we were Romany Gypsy's. Ben Gentle was a horse dealer. And if you want to know any more just ask.

Offline sure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 June 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Out of them brothers you put up there Ben Gentle was my grandfather. Also he had 9 sons and he left England to go to Ireland. Also he was burried in Killkenny. Ben's wife was called Nora Hall and she came from Kent and my father was called Johno Gentle. The name of the 9 brothers:
George, Roy, Bill, Fred, Johno, Edward, Pato, Arthur and Jim. They are all dead now. And we were Romany Gypsy's. Ben Gentle was a horse dealer. And if you want to know any more just ask.

Offline jodieg1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 June 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm wondering if you could help?
My Grandpa always used to say we had a gypsy princess in the family from his wifes mothers side and that's why I nearly got Zena as my given name (after my Great Grandma Ambrosina). My dads family are all from Retford and have been for a great many years.
My 3rd great grandmother was called Ambersina Hebrozena Wainwright and she married a Henry Brett back in the 1860's.
They had 5 daughters (Sarah Jane, Agnes Emily, Grace, Cora and Florence) and 4 sons (George Henry, Mordecai, Joseph and James).
Anyway, Ambersinas father was called Mordecai Boswell Wainwright, born in 1820 in Misterton, Nottinghamshire. When I start looking at his familys given names they are bizarre (Absalom, Phoenix, Trinity etc).
Can you tell me if this info is correct and anymore about this family?

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 June 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi. Jodi. Where to start?  First there's really no such thing as romany royalty in this country. But lots of people get called king of the gypsies.  Etc. Just a name. There was a king of the Scottish tinkers. Way back. He was called William Marshall. Ancestors of a relative of mine. Investiture at kirk Yetholm.  Not far from where I live. Anyway lots of travellers took biblical names.so some seem a bit odd.but we still use strange sounding names.part of the culture.the surnames you mentioned are romany.so your on the right track. Try finding occupations. And people who are marrying into the family. Boswells are a very old romany family. And lots of travellers call children by a spouse's surname. your in the right areas. Lots of travellers live in the areas you mentioned. My own son stays at a site near Retford. Regularly. As I have done. Sorry I cannot give you more information on your family. But try romany gene's site. It's very good.  Cushty bokt.good luck..rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .