Author Topic: Trainor's Bar (Pub) in Aghinlig, Armagh  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Clannessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trainor's Bar (Pub) in Aghinlig, Armagh
« on: Wednesday 31 March 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how old this bar/pub is and if it still around?

I'm looking to see if it goes/went back to the late 1800's.

Thanks,
Karen
California
Taylor & Simpson - Drumgrannon, Moy, County Tyrone, Ireland
Taylor - Birkenhead, Seacombe, England
Savage - County Tyrone, Ireland
Savage - Milngavie, Scotland & South Africa
Cooper - Ireland & Milngavie
Woods - Ireland
Thomson - Ireland
Young - Barony, Calton, Glasgow, Scotland
Galloway - Stirling & Glasgow, Scotland
Campbell - Jura & Stirling, Scotland
Murdock -England, Nova Scotia

Offline gostelm1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trainor's Bar (Pub) in Aghinlig, Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

My Great Aunt Rose Traynor owned this pub before she died and then it was owned by her nephew Christopher (Christy) Traynor. To the best of my knowledge the pub was not around in the late 1800's. I can find out more of the history of it for you and take a photograph, but it wouldn't happen until June when I'm back in NI. I am just starting to research my Traynor family line so I will be covering this.

The pub is no longer open as a public house but the building is still there. It is sited at the corner of a 'T' junction, on the main Moy to Armagh road about 2 miles out from the Moy. The building is a large family home with the pub at one side and a small general store (also closed) on the other side. At one time, the family also sold petrol.

I'm curious - What is your connection to/interest in the pub?

Regards
Mary

Offline Clannessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
I was taking a very wild guess about the family name of Trainor! I recently saw my Great Grandparents marriage record and learned their father's names and where my Great grandmother lived at that time...in Aghinlig. I did a search on that area and a site came up that had Traynor/ Trainor's Pub in it.
My Grandfather was born in 1881 in Drumgrannon, Tyrone. In the 1901 census he was in the Army and headed off to the Boer War. He desserted at some point, changed his name from Taylor to Trainor, ended up in or near Simonstown, South Africa, met my Grandmother (she lived there with her family), around 1909 her Mother brought all 8 children back to Clydebank, Scotland...minus her husband, my Grandfather eventually followed and they married in March of 1910. By the time the Queen pardoned everyone it was too expensive to change 5 people's last names...so it stayed Trainor.

So not knowing why he picked the name "Trainor" my wild guessing was if the pub had been around when he was a young lad in Ireland (his family moved to England about mid 1890's) and he went to that town maybe to visit his Grandparents, maybe knew the "Trainor's....etc etc  :) But since you said the pub was not around at that time...there goes my guess!  :)

Sounds like interesting history for you though and if you think about it at a later date after you have been there..sure I would love to hear and see what you found!  Seems the Armagh and Tyrone areas there are close by. I know my Grandfather's sister (the third child) was born at St James, Moy, Tyrone/Armagh..they had both counties on the baptism record. I have found a photo of that old church...no longer used. I am going to assume my Grandfather and his brother were also baptized there. The address on both records for where they lived was Drumgrannon. I know they were on a farm. My Great Grandparents were William Thomas and Mary Ann Simpson Taylor. She was a School Teacher, he was a Farmer and Land Bailiff for Lord Charlemont...a whole other story there and why they left for England! Seems William's father, Robert Taylor, was also a Bailiff. Mary Ann's father was a John Simpson and a Farmer.
If you happen to run across the Drumgrannon area and could take some photos that would be awesome.

Keep in touch,
Karen
Glendora, CA
Taylor & Simpson - Drumgrannon, Moy, County Tyrone, Ireland
Taylor - Birkenhead, Seacombe, England
Savage - County Tyrone, Ireland
Savage - Milngavie, Scotland & South Africa
Cooper - Ireland & Milngavie
Woods - Ireland
Thomson - Ireland
Young - Barony, Calton, Glasgow, Scotland
Galloway - Stirling & Glasgow, Scotland
Campbell - Jura & Stirling, Scotland
Murdock -England, Nova Scotia

Offline Marc Mc Namara

• RootsChat Member
  • Cumara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 April 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
This may or may not be of interest, but there is a pub nearby to where you are discussing in Blackwatertown which is right on the Armagh/ Tyrone border. Its called thet Port Mor but was omwned and Run by a Traynor Family for some years and the family is very visible in the area through various businesses.

The name is claerly related with bars and i thought this may prove of interest / link?

Marc
McNamara - Dublin             Comiskey - Dublin
Flynn - Dublin                    Dennison - Dublin
Keyes - Limerick / Dublin     Nestor- Limerick
Cunningham / Byrne - Tullamore      
Hogan - Limerick                 McCormack- Dublin
Moody - Dublin                  
Moore - Armagh                  Daly - Armagh

Offline gostelm1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Marc

The Port Mor pub that you mention belonged to the same Traynor family as the Aghinlig pub. However it is now owned and run by someone else.
At the turn of the 20th century, the Traynors were mainly farmers but during the first half of the century, they moved in to other business ventures.

Mary

Offline Peep ODaze

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile

Offline gostelm1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 June 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Eugene

Thanks for the link. I hadn't realised how detailed this map was. I now see why it has upset people.

Yes, I can remember the explosion happening. Sadly, that was too common an occurence in those days.

Mary

Offline craig D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 19 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary  I think we are cousins trying to find out as much as I can about my Traynor Family history
My Grandma Alice Traynor Demarest was your aunt Roses Sister, wanted to find out more about where the family came from ... so far I can only find 1901 and 1911 census records but nothing before that

any help appreciated, thanks   Craig

Offline craig D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Jean is my cousin , Alice was our grandmother , thanks any info on Alice and Roses Siblings, Parents , and Grandparents or clues very much appreciated

Thanks

Craig