Author Topic: william lemon  (Read 24596 times)

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william lemon
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 April 10 19:48 BST (UK) »
Good Grief did I ? dont be tellin everyone that tee hee is that why hubby tells me sometimes I look like I'm suckin on a lemon  ;D

Dear Lemon C

If this is the right Lemon then older Dubliners would be familiar with the advert. in Saturday night's newspapers..

If this is Saturday, I must not forget my Lemons Pure Sweets

Lemon Street was named after Graham Lemon (Confectioner) and was formerly called Little Grafton Street.

Come back if you think that I have the right connection.

Regards Quaxer

Don't forget the catchphase "uncle Dan sent me" which was part of one advert
 for Lemon's sweets,my sister actually went into a shop and used the phrase. ;D
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 April 10 20:05 BST (UK) »
Tee Hee,well I'm not 100% sure but I think
it was dad who told you to do it.
The ad went "uncle Dan the lemons man and then
"don't forget to say uncle Dan sent you" so you did
giggles.
                                                              xxxx.Anne
Apologies for this post,I thought I sent the comment in a p.m. :-[
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 April 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
Wasnt I a clever little parrott giggles

giggles.
 xxxx.Anne
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 April 10 01:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Lemon C.

It may well be that my family is connected to the Lemon family through my maternal grandmother. My late mother always stated this but was unable to state how the connection arose. She said that they were "disowned" as they  were in "trade" presumably  as shopkeepers which my mother dismissed  as silly snobbish rot. I think that she was mistaken as to the cause because in my perusal of The Irish Times from 1859-1901 I noticed that Lemon shall we say was not over careful in his business activities.(i.e. run down property etc.)
The Irish Times for  9th October 1886 records on Page 5 the death of Graham Lemon and on 13th October at P.5 there is a further reference to him.
The dower of Elizabeth (widow of Graham Lemon) was the subject of a law case (see the I.T. 23rd June 1898 at Page 6 and 29th June at Page 6 again) i.e. Lemon v Mark . It may also be reported in The Irish Law Times and try also (a log shot ) the Irish Law Reports

Regards     Quaxer

Offline LemonChichester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 April 10 03:41 BST (UK) »
Q:  Graham Lemon was married to Mary Barkley.  According to familysearch.com.
Where Elizabeth comes in not sure.  Graham had brothers( see earlier posts-thomas) maybe one them.  I do know that over here in US the lemons in western NY did not really have much to do with us here in Eastern NY.  Going so far as to have seperate reunions.  No body really knows why just was always like that though.  Do you have any information.  What was the connection to us?

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 April 10 17:24 BST (UK) »
Lemon C.

I do not know what the connection is as none has come to light although I must say that I have not put any particular effort into finding one having been engaged in other matters. It is probably by marriage between say 1860-1890.

Regards      Quaxer

Offline hmstew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 July 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
William Redmond Lemon was my great great grandfather, born 3 Aug 1821, son of Thomas Lemon and Anne Barklie, farmer of Glenanne, Near Markethill, Co Armagh. He had an older brother Graham, born c 1819, and also Joseph (born c 1823-1827), James Henry, b c 1825, Thomas, b c 1827, Mary (1830-1901) and Sarah (22 July 1833 - 29 Sep 1888, married John Redmond of Cork) Dr William Redmond Lemon (1861 - 1927) was the son of Joseph and was a Physician and Surgeon in Markethill and later in Dublin.

Graham and William Redmond Lemon together founded the Lemon confectionery business in Belfast in 1842 (Donegal St) before moving to Dublin in 1850. Graham was married by now to Isabella (Surname?) and William married in Dublin in 1852 to Anne Dishon of Orkney. I have lots of records on William Redmond Lemon's family (and he is definitely not the same person as the one who married Dora Ross)  In 1857 Graham and William seem to have had some sort of quarrel and go their separate ways - Graham appears to have prospered more than William! William initially remained in confectionery, but later is described as an engineer and eventually as an accountant (probably general business activities) William recieved the freedom of the city of Dublin in 1878, so must have been reasonably successful.

I know less of Graham Lemon's family, but he had a son Graham who died in infancy in Belfast (1846-1847). A second son, James Henry was a vet with the Royal Horse Artillery and died in India in 1872; next came another Graham, born c 1850, then Thomas Owens Lemon (1852-1917) who married Jane Adelaide Morriss, but had no family. There were also twins (a boy and a girl) born 12 Jan 1857. The only descendents that I know of, are those of Graham Lemon junior who had a son Thomas Owen (b c 1880) who had a son George Arthur Lemon, and 3 grandchildren. After the quarrel, Graham prospered,  became a JP and had 2 large houses ; he also owned a large number of properties in Dublin that were rented out and he regularly entered into court cases for refusal to pay rates, damage to property etc. He died in 1886 and I believe his wife may have died in 1889. There are later reports of court cases in 1915 involving "Mrs Graham Lemon" but I think this must be the widow of Graham junior, although there are inconsistencies.

Maxwell Lemon is another mystery and I have a number of stories. First that Sadie Lemon (Sarah, not sure which one as we had several) married a man called Mullins and he took the name "Maxwell Lemon" and set up in competition. Alternatively, Maxwell O'Connor married "Miss Lemon" and took the name Maxwell Lemon. On the 1911 census, there is Maxwell Lemon, a widow (ie female), born in Scotland and boarding with a couple called Mullins. I think the fact that Maxwell Lemon is female is more likely and from a more reliable source, as there also seems to be a Maxwell Lemon connection back to Markethill, Armagh.

With the information on this website, I have delved further and found the funeral report for Graham Lemon (Oct 1886) and now know that he also had children, Captain G. G. Lemon and William H. G. Lemon - which I presume must be your William Henry George and the one who married Dora. (Could be one of the twins as I did not have names for these)

Need to try and find marriage and death certificate for Graham to check the name of his wife.

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 July 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
HMStew

Many thanks for your message of today. I recently discovered our connection with the Lemons in the marriage register for Tralee Parish Church  when on 28/10/1875 Thomas Owen Lemon and Jane Adelaide Morris were married. Jane and my maternal grandmother were sisters.
In passing I have nevere before seen Morris spelt with 2 Ss but spelling like pronunciation has varied over the years.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline lozza 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:mary Gunny
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Re Mary Gunny,
I am the Great Grandaughter of Daniel Fowler the said father of Daniel Gunny Lynch. I would welcome any conversation on Daniel Fowler.
Laraine

Wasnt I a clever little parrott giggles

giggles.
 xxxx.Anne