Author Topic: Wrexham:Baptism of Mary Ann Edwards  (Read 4979 times)

Offline jmo12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham:Baptism of Mary Ann Edwards
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 April 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes my grandfather is John listed as grandson. I have found a John Owens, neighbour of Mary Ann, who I strongly feel is the father.  My grandfather's name on his BC is John Owens Edwards following the practice of giving an illegitimate child the unnamed father's names as forenames.

I agree as to the reasons why John was possibly adopted but  am puzzled that I cannot find her DC or a marriage for Mary Ann.There are some marriages in the 1880's for Mary Ann Edwards  but I do not think they are the correct one.

Yes I have located a probable  DC for John Edwards in 1883 (Wrexham, Jun 11b 220) when he was 72.

Also Ihave obtained the DC for Margaret Jones Edwards(5/10/1872) which is correct i.e. her husband is given as John Edwards, she is 37 and she lived at Mount Pleasant, Cerney. All correct.  Her name suggested to me that she was married to a Jones and either, he died or they split and she wished to carry the name onfor their childrens sake?,and then she cohabited /married John Edwards. That is why I want to find out whether my grandmother is the child of a Jones/Margaret or John Edwards/Margaret.

I hope I have not confused any possible helpers with some of this information and let me restate that my request is that for someone with access to Wrexham Church Records, to please lookup baptisms for 1862/3/4 for a Mary Ann(e) Edwards with a mother Margaret Edwards/Jones and father John Edwards or Thomas? Jones.

Thanks

Offline jmo12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 April 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi maidmarion

From the 1861 census there was a Margaret Jones, 1 ,listed as dau. of Mary(Margaret?) Jones, housekeeper and , possibly, John Edwards. I noted that the housekeeper was listed as married. Was she married to a Unknown  Jones, the father of her child? I found a marriage of a Thomas Jones to a Margaret Owens in Wrexham in 1857. If this was correct, they could have had a child, Margaret in 1859/60, separated, Margaret destitute goes to work as housekeeper for John Edwards which takes us to 1861. Possible !!

Good Hunting

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 April 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't think you have confused us too much! I just felt we needed some clarification as to names etc as looking for a baptism in the Brymbo area inc non conformist chapels is a task in itsself but with out confirmation of parents names...well its a nightmare  ;D

I would try Brymbo and Broughton firstly rather than Wrexham St Giles.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/index.html

John's will could give you lots of info and so could a MI.

Good luck  :)

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 April 10 15:47 BST (UK) »
Please forgive me I hadn't noticed that Mary Jones servant was married. :-[

Perhaps "daur" refers to her daughter rather than John's and that Margaret Edwards in 1871 is a different child  ???

Modified
If she was John's child you (to an unknown mother,) you would have expected her to have appeared above servants on the census  :-\

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 April 10 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello jmo12

I couldn't see a baptism for a Mary Ann(e) in Brymbo around that time  :(

Broughton baptisms don't start till 1901  >:(

I couldn't look in Wrexham baptisms, someone else in the records office was looking at that film.

Paul.

Offline jmo12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Many thanks for your time and effort. Will keep on searching and hoping that my 'Mary Ann(e)  will be found!

Good hunting
John