Author Topic: Alveley / Woodhill Farm Highley  (Read 1992 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Alveley / Woodhill Farm Highley
« on: Thursday 01 April 10 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I recently purchased an old colour  postcard depicting Alveley looking up towards the church postmarked October 1911.
The message on the reverse intrigues me - it is addressed to - Miss C Brick, woodhill farm, Highley.
the sender writes -
Turley Green 9.10.11
wishing you many happy returns of the day. hope all are well. hope you have a good time at the concert on wednesday
love to all
Mary

Ring any bells with anyone.
Anyone any ideas who Miss Brick is or the sender Mary ?
any help much appreciated

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: Alveley / Woodhill Farm Highley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I can see this message is a few years old so hopefully you're still getting email updates. I think can shed some light on this for you. My great-great-grandmother Ann Susanna Caroline Brick has a brother Thomas Brick, and he is living at Wood Hill Farm Highley in 1901 and 1911. He has a daughter Constance Annie, so I would imagine she is the Miss C Brick on the postcard.

Can't be sure who the sender Mary is though. Constance has a sister Frances Mary, but as far as I'm aware she wasn't known as Mary. She has an aunt Mary (married to Thomas's brother Samuel) so it could be her. I can't find any cousins called Mary. Maybe she's a friend?

I'm related to Constance through both of her parents - her mother is Mary Breakwell, and three Breakwell siblings married three Brick siblings.

Thomas Brick lived at Wood Hill Farm Highley in 1901 and 1911, in 1891 he lived at Wood End Farm (this could be the same place) and this was his parents' address going back to 1851. Prior to this it belonged to his mother's family, the Edwards family.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Jane C S Scott

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alveley / Woodhill Farm Highley
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 22 07:32 BST (UK) »
I'm replying to clairec666 as I think we share a great great grandmother...Ann or Annie Susanna Caroline Brick born 1860
If this is the same, she married Henry Breakwell born 1858.
Henry was a haulier and they lived for a time in the Stone House Highley then became tenant farmers for Gatacre Hall near Claverly.
Have only just found this site, hence my late reply!