Author Topic: Moved from England to Austrailia  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Claire79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moved from England to Austrailia
« on: Wednesday 23 March 05 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any info on my Dad's cousin Douglas Machin.  His mother moved to Australia after his father was killed during the 2nd World War.  Douglas was born in 1944, his mother was Elsie Maud ?????.  she re-married before she left to a fella called Stephenson we think.

I know all of this is a bit vague but it's all I've got.  I'd love to find Doug so that my Dad can contact him.

Thanks in advance.

Claire
x
Names; Machin, Bromley, Sutton, Deaville, Lancake, Landcake, Martin, Hilditch, Broome, Blease, Moss, Tweates, Brough
Areas; Congleton, Astbury, Macclesfield, Biddulph, Horton, Norton, Grantham, Leadenham

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
Re: Moved from England to Austrailia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 05 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Machin is not a common name so my advice would be to look in the phone book (click on residential) for D. Machin at:

http://www.whitepages.com.au

I had a quick look and in most states there is only say 2-6 listed so shoudn't take long to find him.

There were no Douglas Machin's listed in the Victorian Deaths between 1921-1985.

Hope you find him,

cheers,

Wendy :)

Offline Claire79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 05 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy.

I had an interesting piece of info the other day off a rellie, who said that Doug's mum (Elsie Maud Machin nee Duckworth) re-married before she left for distant shores, to a fella possibly called Stevenson.

I'm guessing that this may broaden my search somewhat as Doug may have been using the Stevenson surname.  If so i don't reckon i've got any chance of finding him!!

c
x
Names; Machin, Bromley, Sutton, Deaville, Lancake, Landcake, Martin, Hilditch, Broome, Blease, Moss, Tweates, Brough
Areas; Congleton, Astbury, Macclesfield, Biddulph, Horton, Norton, Grantham, Leadenham

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 05 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,

That makes it harder if he's possibly changed his name. Machin is an easier name to search. Have a look at the National Archives of Australia site:-

http://www.naa.gov.au/

and click on record search.

Are there no clues as to which State Elsie may have travelled to. I know there are Duckworths in Western Aust. and that being her maiden name, perhaps she had rellies there?
Did you search the Telstra White pages online for Metropolitan & Regional areas for each State and Territory?

As Stevenson is only a maybe, the spelling might be Stephenson so that confuses things even more.

Don't give up yet,

Wendy   :)

Offline Valslater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Claire,

I rang all the D Machins that were listed in the white pages for australia but to no avail.  So maybe he is under the other name you mentioned.

Good luck
Valerie
Balls: South Shields
Coulson: South Shields
Fitzpatrick: South Shields, Ireland, France
Johnson: Northumberland, South Sheilds
Owen: South Shields, Wales(!)
Slater: South Shields
Todd: South Shields
Willis: Northumberland, South Shields
Wilson: South Sheilds
Winnard : Lancashire, Durham

Offline JayeRiley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Clair,
Doug is my Grandfather,  i would love to chat with you! Im new to this whole geaneology thing, and only just discovered roots, hopefully you are still active! his legal name is Anthony Douglas Stephenson traveled over on the moloja with his mum elsie maude stephenson and listed as father was Maldwyn Stephenson, my great grandfather (or as it would appear)!

Thanks Jaye