Author Topic: Clazy  (Read 15413 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Clazy
« on: Sunday 04 April 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for more information on Katrine Clazy - I think her maiden name was Greenlaw.  There were four children -  John and William who were both blacksmiths and a Sarah and Euphemia although I have seen that name as Elspeth as well.  In the one census, she has 70 acres and 3 servants and the location is given as Janetstown.

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Clazy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 April 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
You have not given us sufficient info

When was she born and where?

When and where were the children born?

In the one census
  Which census?

I think her maiden name was Greenlaw

Have you checked for a marriage or looked for the births of any of the children to check her maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
Looking for more information on Katrine Clazy - I think her maiden name was Greenlaw.  There were four children -  John and William who were both blacksmiths and a Sarah and Euphemia although I have seen that name as Elspeth as well.  In the one census, she has 70 acres and 3 servants and the location is given as Janetstown.

sharon

You can use FREECEN to find her from 1841 - 1861. Looks likely that she's living with her parents in 1841 and if so her father John died age 89 at Wick in the best year for statutory records  - 1855.

A check at her death entry should confirm if her maiden name was indeed Greenwood.

Nel

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 April 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
1841 she is  Clathrine Clary aged 35 Wick ED 5A Page 24 Line 490

1851 she is Kathrine Clagg aged 50 b East Lothian Wick ED 7A Page  17 Line 4

1861 Catherine Clazy 61 Wick ED 6 Page  9 Line 1 b East Lothian

No husband on any census
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 April 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
www.familysearch.org has her marriage 1n 1823 to James CLISY

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 April 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Haster Census, Clathrine 35, son William 4 and daughter Euphemia 1 are in the house with John Greenlaw and family.  In the same census, W. Clyth, Latheron is James Clazy 35 and Elisabeth Clazy 15.  I wondered if Catherine was visiting since I suspect she was a Greenlaw.

1851 Katrine is farming 70 acres in Haster, a widow and was born in E. Lothian, P. of Garvald.  William is 13, Euphemia is 10 and John is 8.  It is possible Elisabeth is married?

1861, Janetstown Catherine is 61, Euphemia is 21 and John 18 and William 24 are blacksmiths.  After that census, I lose them all.  

Would the 70 acres Catherine is farming be the Greenlaw land?  What happened to Elisabeth? And, when did James die?  I am trying to tie this Clazy line into one of several that are floating around...

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 April 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
hi all  :)

possibly  :-\
1881 main st village E side latheron caithness
catherine G clazey 77 widow born haddington haddington

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 April 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
Did you see John  GREENLAW  age 82 Blacksmith born Berwick and his son Adam 38 Blacksmith born Whitekirk, East Lothian living 3 homes away from Catherine in the 1851 census.

They are being visited by Elizabeth Beaton 24 masons wife and John BEATON 5mth born Edinburgh.
 This looks like it is your Elizabeth as in family search there are two entries for the marriage of Elizabeth Clazy to Lewis Beaton in Dunbar East Lothian  11 Nov 1849 and  also 19 NOV 1849 at Saint Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh father James Clazy.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 April 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.  I had found Elizabeth in the 1841 Census with her father, James and she was 15.  By the time the second census, 1851, came along she was not living with them and I figured she had married.  This has plugged a hole I had in the tree.

I think her father, James was a son of James Clazey and Helen Kerr.  There is a James buried in Chirnside in the family plot but Catherine is not there which still leaves me wondering...

sharon