Author Topic: Could this stone be moved? Completed  (Read 2408 times)

Offline cg fan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could this stone be moved? Completed
« on: Sunday 04 April 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
I recently found the grave stone of my 3x great grandmother.
It was in a corner of a small park, where I had gone to look for names on the cenotaph. I noticed some grave stones by the wall on the other side of the park, so I went to look.
As I walked on what I thought was a path, I looked down and saw I was standing on the grave stone of my ancestor.
That corner of the park is being used to dump compost.

I think it is very disrespectful to use grave stones in this way. Would I have the right to ask the council for this stone to be moved from where it is, to a different place?

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Re: Could this stone be moved?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 April 10 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi.

The problem I have found with involving the council in anything relating to headstones, is cost.
To clean a headstone; to level and reset a headstone; anything to do with headstones and local authorities charge an arm and a leg.

Consequently, I have removed my relatives' headstones, cleaned them, had the lead lettering repaired by a monumental mason, levelled the ground, laid a fresh concrete plinth and remounted the refurbished headstone. All work, with the exception of the lettering, I carried out myself saving hundreds of pounds. I didn't even ask the permission of the council and they are still no wiser. I've done this three times with no comeback.

However, I would suggest that if you remove the stone from what you say is a path, you must make sure that you reinstate the path so as to prevent accident/injury to others.

As for ownership of the stone, that's one for the legal beagles. I would have thought that ownership lies with the purchaser - your family - not the council. But I stand to be corrected.

Hope this helps in some small way.

David
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline cg fan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, David,

You have given me something to think about. I may use your suggestions on other stones that may need repair in the future.
As for this one, it stands in a very public place, with no nearby parking. I would look a little suspicious, going with tools to remove and replace it, and the park is quite close to council offices.
Thank you for your reply, I will give it some thought.

Anne.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 April 10 14:51 BST (UK) »
there was a post the other day it was said repairs by the public would come down to health and safety.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 April 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil.

Yes, I'd expect the council to use that as an argument and an excuse to charge £660 for a new plinth plus £390 labour for removing and remounting the headstone. That is what I was quoted and that's why I did it myself. With three graves to tend to I simply couldn't afford their charges. One of the headstones was already laid face downward.

David
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.