Author Topic: Book: West Somerset Yeomanry  (Read 8149 times)

Offline asherp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Book: West Somerset Yeomanry
« on: Sunday 04 April 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have started work on a new project which is about producing nominal roll of former members of the West Somerset Yeomanry with short biographies.

If you have any information about former members please do let me know.

With best wishes

Asher Pirt

New Link:
http// pirtonline.org /yeomanry. aspx  website not longer working

Link:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/west-somerset-yeomanry-a-nominal-roll-with-short-biographies/8576811

Offline 260ridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: West Somerset Yeomanry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
My father, Robert Henry FOLLETT served in the West Somerset Yeomanry, based at Hounslow Camp in Yeovil.

I think it was 250 Medium Regt Royal Artillery, he was BSM of Q Battery. I have his silver collar dogs and cap badge from the period. He represented the Regiment at the Coronation in 1953.

He was still with the Regt when it merged with the Queen's Own Dorsets to form the QOD and WSY in 1965/6? I attended the final disbandment parade when Lord Hylton, the Lord Lieutenant of Somerset took the Salute. I have photos somewhere in my archives. My father was a Captain at this time.

Hope this helps

regards
Neil Follett
Follett - Thorncombe, Dorset; Hughes - Bucks; Beard, Andrews, Dunstan - Cornwall; Kerby, Jennings, Tatchell - Somerset

Offline asherp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I would be very interested in seeing any group or single photographs of members of the West Somerset Yeomanry.

With best wishes

Asher

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there

My grandfather, Kenneth John WATERS was part of the West Somerset Yeomanry. I have his memoirs and he has written quite a lot about the war. There are a couple of photos included of him, and of his mates also.

Direct from his memoirs, this is how he would write out his details: "Gunner Signaller Waters K.J 14362774, 439 Battery, 55th Field Regiment (West Somerset Yeomanry) Royal Artillery, Guards Armoured Division, 21st Armoured Group, 3O Corps 2nd Army. B.A.O.R. (British Army of the Rhine)."

I'd love to hear from you in the hopes of sharing some information.

Cheers
Lauren
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.