Author Topic: Ethel Hemson or Ethel Dezombre?  (Read 17671 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Hemson or Ethel Dezombre?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
Fred and Edith Armes and family travelled on the Dominion from Liverpool to Quebec arriving 9 June 1907.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08e3/
Family in 1911

Ethel F. Armes had married 23 Nov 1909 at age 19, working as an operator, living at 333 Bartlett St. Toronto to Francis Pidgeon, 21, a teamster.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/08e4/
Her family in 1911 - husband now using Arthur

Fredrick George Armes signed up for the CEF March 16, 1916 and died in the Base Hospital at 465 Gerard St. Toronto on Jan 15, 1917 from pneumonia.

Edith Armes, b. Norwich, 20, married Charles Stanley Wilson, 21, 27 Nov 1912.  Witnesses were Arthur F. Pidgeon and Elsie M. Armes

William Henry White, 24, married Gertrude Dorothy Armes 21, b. England, on 20 September 1918 at Toronto

Herbert Francis Armes 22, b. England, steamfitter married Irene Margaret McNichol, 19 March 1 1924 at Toronto.  wit: Fred J. Armes

Debbie

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
For J.J.

Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks...It doesn't do much more for the image to have enlarged it...I still see lawmaker, but the post with the link to male lacemakers does make sense and here is a link to the lacemakers of Calais. This would tie in with the family having come from France sometime after the birth of Felix
http://www.angelfire.com/al/aslc/lacemake.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of the Lacemakers who were helped on to Australia was a   "de Sombre"
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
1901 British census in London working as a parlourmaid in the home of Mary L. Kitson is
Lydia A. Dezombie, 36, widow, b. Calais France FS (does this mean French subject?)

RG13 19 130 11

Debbie

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 01:13 BST (UK) »
I picked up the two death registrations today - it is your Ethel and her husband Philip.  If you can send me a PM with your email, I will send you the scans.

The informant on Ethel's reg was her daughter Lydia.  There is a marriage entry on the BC Vital Events index for Lydia Cordelia Humber to Harry Smith in Victoria in 1927.  Lydia died in Victoria in 1980, aged 73yrs.  Sorry, I didn't have time to look this up at the library today but if you want the regs, I can pick them up next time I am there.  Lydia's death reg will list her place of birth which might help place the family and Ethel's marriage.

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 02:56 BST (UK) »
So know the question is what happened to Felix and when did Ethel and Philip marry. Gotta love the twists and turns in genealogy.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 05:36 BST (UK) »
Lynwen or poli, what were the names of Philip Humber's parents on the death registration? JJ and I were wondering whether the family may have changed their surname to Humber.

From taking a closer look at the name of Felix's father on the marriage banns form, I'm wondering whether it says Geo phil as an abbreviation of George Philip or could the phi be a bad abbreviation for Felix?

Just throwing out a theory and seeing if it goes anywhere.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 06:46 BST (UK) »
Ethel was the informant on Philip's death registration and listed his father as Felix Humber, born England, mother not known.  His birthdate is listed as 7 Feb 1882 in London, England and he was in Canada for 30yrs, in the province & city for 29yrs.  That gives an emigration date of 1911.  Just throwing in some more details as the Felix link seems a bit coincidental......

As for Ethel, her daughter listed the emigration details as 33 yrs for all three giving an arrival date of 1910.

I think you might be on to something because the daughter's name of Lydia Cordelia E on the BC records matches the birth Carole found. 

Damn, you guys are good!

Lynwen

ps.  I'll try and get back to the library tomorrow to pick up Lydia's registrations.
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
I have emailed the owner of that tree , offered to send him a copy of the Ostler/Dezombre marriage and also asked if he now has any more info regarding Ethel Ostler.  poli

Have had a reply--he said that the info he was given was that Felix changed his name to Humber.--he was passing my query on to the originator of his info and said that they may like to get in touch with me themselves. i'll wait and see.

Meanwhile--i have printed off all the recent findings you have all found and will start to work my way through them. many thanks, everyone on this board is incredibly helpful. poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk