Author Topic: Ethel Hemson or Ethel Dezombre?  (Read 17692 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Hemson or Ethel Dezombre?
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 08 April 10 23:26 BST (UK) »

As to the name change from Desombre to Humber.  Was he just trying to sound more Canadian or is this a "dit" name as found in Quebec.  For eg. earching for the surname Lachapelle you end up looking at Jannot, Langlois or a few other surnames depending on which line you extend from.

Debbie

If name changes happen that way then it's amazing that anyone ever finds who they are looking for!!

Philip could be a derivation of Felix i suppose but Humber instead of Dezombre?

Today i have copied and pasted all the information that has been found with everyone's help.   I shall work my way through it.
I printed off all the Attestation papers--the men all seem to be on the short side and a few appear to sport tattoos!

You have given me a great deal to work with and i am extremely grateful for your time and interest.

I am gradually going back to all the web sites that you have given me here and i will also check out some more of the Ostler trees that are around.
Just thought i'd let you know what i was doing  :) poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline david.humber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 02 July 15 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi I read this with interest as Felix Desombre was my grandfather.  He changed his name by deed pole apparently due to anti french Canadian discrimination in BC in those days. I think my father Frank Philip Humber was actually the only child born a Humber rather than a Dezombre! This seems an old thread if I read the Canadian style date correctly is there any updates

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 03 July 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hello David, 
yes you are right , it is an old thread brought back to my attention again by your reply.

I began the  search originally by way of the Copperwheat surname. Ethel Gertrude [who married Felix Dezombre/Philip Humber] was the daughter of  Charles Henry 1V Ostler and Cordelia Copperwheat--this you probably know.
Copperwheat was the surname of my own Grandmother and while researching the name, came across Charles and Cordelia's 12 children and was keen to find out more about them.

I found also that a marriage of Frank P Humber took place in Hendon Middx [is this your father?]
I too, married in Hendon, small world.!!!  poli :)
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline david.humber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 05 July 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
yes reception in north harrow in the wealdstone arms a pub that is now gone! d

Offline Sean MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 29 October 18 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  I read this thread with great interest as Felix Desombre is my 2nd Great Grandfather through Lydia Desombre/Humber.  I was especially fascinated with David's comment in regards to the name change as I have grown up with a different tale as to why Felix chose to change his name.  I was actually visiting my Grandmother over the weekend and decided to have her recount the tale and from what she has been told by her mother, Lydia, Felix came back from WW1 feeling disenfranchised by the way the French conducted themselves during the War and decided to change his name. 

After some discussion with my family along with a different perspective in regards to the change, we are now wondering if there is a bit of truth from both tales for his decision on the name change. 

David, I am also curious to know if you happen to have a copy of his change of name certificate?

Best regards,

Sean

Offline david.humber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 29 October 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
sorry no have not been able to find anything about the name change - my understanding was that the name change must have been 1918 or 1919 if my father was correct that he was the only one born a Humber.  Not sure what the procedure in BC was to change names or how you might trace it - would guess there should have been some public announcement in a news paper or something. Probably you are right that there is an element of truth in both stories although I think the anti french element was quite strong in Victoria and it was a few years before he changed his name.  Not sure the family communicated very well as my father told me Felix was called philip and was Belgium!  We called our son Philip because we thought is was a family tradition! my father was a frank philip too so it was a surprise to find out he was a Felix and french.  and as it says in the thread I assume the family originally came from Pas de Calais. Regards  David

Offline Sean MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 29 October 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was under the impression it was around the same time as you mentioned.  I know BC has a change of name registry now, but am unsure when it started.  Fortunately, I do live in BC and will start doing some digging here to see what I can find.  If I happen to be able to find a copy of it, would you be interested in having me send it along to you David?

Yes, it does seem there has been a lapse in the communication with the family.  I have recently found an interest in my family tree and am learning a lot and finding it quite interesting hearing different stories from family members. 

I think I had seen a census that may have shown his parents on it and yes, it seemed to indicate they were both from Calais.  I will have to see if I can track that down again.

Cheers,

Sean