Author Topic: Surname BUTFOY origin pease.  (Read 16190 times)

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
Re: Surname BUTFOY origin pease.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 May 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara, I still can't find your tree on Ancestry.

I bought the PDF copy of Louis Thibou's letter from a library in Australia and would be happy to send the original to to you if you'd like it - much better quality than the edited version I put on the website.
Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 May 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline, thank you very much, I would certainly like A copy. I have a private tree on Ancestry because I have added up todate information. If you send me your email address I will add you as a guest, you can then look whenever you like.  I will send you my email address. Best wishes, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 May 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Sara and Caroline

Glad you are having some success in pushing this further. Would certainly be interested in seeing the letter in full.

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 May 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard, please send me your email address and I will send you a copy of the letter. Best wishes, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline Wazza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 May 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
I have been able to trace my Huguenot ancestors back to Gabriel Boutefoy and Marie Charron.
My direct line is via their son Charles who was baptised on 1/11/1668 at the Threadneedle Street French Huguenot Church, London (the actual record is in book form at Salt Lake City and is not available on IGI film). This couple had at least 3 another children.
Gabriel and his descendants were all Silk Weavers.  It is believed, but not yet proven, that Gabriel was from French Flanders.
Over the years the spelling of Boutefoy evolved into Butfoy.
I am in Australia and would welcome the opportunity to exchange information.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 May 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Wazza,
The Butfoy/Boutefoys were a large family, and I have come across quite a few descendants kicking around the genealogy world!
Do you have an account with ancestry.co.uk? Happy to link you up to my tree if you give me your username.
I'm in New Zealand.
Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Offline Wazza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Caroline,

Thank you for responding. I have not uploaded a family tree onto any of the sites yet as my research is ongoing but hope to do so by the end of the year.
If you care to send me your email address I will provide you with a summary of the information I have to date.

Regards
Wazza

Offline Leonie_O

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 July 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I also have a BUTFOY in the tree.
Susannah BUTFOY, daughter of Charles and Ann Butfoy, baptised 2 Sep 1850 at St Matthews Bethnal Green.
She married Richard OLIVER, origins unknown, on 3 Jan 1773 at St Mary Newington.
She had 9 children from 1773 until 1793.
She died on 29 August 1841 aged 91 years at 23 Wilmot St Bethnal Green, the home of her youngest child, Sarah Shepherd, nee Oliver.  She is also recorded there in the 1841 census.  Richard Oliver died in 1829.

Susannah's daughter Julian/a married Charles Lusby in 1810.  My question is-can anyone help with the origins of Richard Oliver, who was a silk weaver (what else?) or Charles Lusby who was the son of John and Mary Lusby?  The Lusbys were also weavers.

I suppose I would really like to know if Richard Oliver and/or the Lusbys had Huguenot origins. 

Many thanks
Leonie_O

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 July 10 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie,
I got your message via Ancestry and will answer there, but you may want to correct the baptism year on this? You seem to be 100 years out?
Caroline.