Author Topic: NERCWYS/TREUDDYN/ERYRYS/MOLD  (Read 7246 times)

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
NERCWYS/TREUDDYN/ERYRYS/MOLD
« on: Wednesday 23 March 05 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everybody

I'm new to this site and am researching my family in the above areas, namely the WOODWARD family from Nercwys, the MORRLLE family from MOLD (also BUCKLEY) and have just started to research my grandfather's family J.H.GRIFFITHS 1913-1973....

Any links to anyone on here???

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline Housemartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NERCWYS/TREUDDYN/ERYRYS/MOLD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am related to the Woodwards in Treuddyn and Nercwys on my mother's side.  My mother's family is also from Eryrys.  Have you any specific names?  I am related to the Woodwards who married into the Thomas and Jones families.
Nickson - Liverpool, Cheshire, Cretney - Liverpool, Isle of Man, Martin - Warwickshire, Oxlade - Buckinghamshire, Childe - Buckinghamshire, Phythian - Cheshire, Woodward  - Wales, Derbyshire, Cornwall, Jones - Wales, Farnworth - Lancashire, Peace - Orkney Islands Scotland, Duncan - Glasgow Scotland, Rankin - Middlesex  Esssex, Hallmark/Halfmarke - Cheshire,

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Welcome to Rootschat! :)
In a nutshell my g g g grandparents were Robert and Harriet Woodward of Nercwys I'm descended from their son Adam Woodward b.1867....

Sarah :)

Offline Housemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

I will have to check with my aunt for more info.  My grandmother had 17 brothers and sisters of which 14 survived.  Some of her brother's and sister's names are, Elizabeth, Margaret, Dilys, Suzanna, Phillip, William, David, Sion, Mary, Robert and my grandmother's name was Letitia.  My grandmother was born in 1912 - not sure how old her parents were but she was number 17 and already an aunt by the time she was born.   They all seemed to have large families!

My mother thinks however, that my greatgrandfather Woodward was not from North Wales but from England.  I am trying to get more information from my cousin who has done more research.  There is a family rumour that he was a brother to James Woodward who is Tom Jones' grandfather.  She has a feeling her grandfather's name was William but is not sure as he did not have any other family members in the area.

My mother who was a Jones (father Samuel Jones - mother Letitia Woodward) lived in Eryrys during her early childhood then moved to Treuddyn.  I will ask her if she knows the Griffiths family.  She was born in 1934 so the timeframe is similar to your grandfather's family.  Because of our large family there was a lot of intermarrying between second and third cousins etc.  The name Griffiths rings a bell - will let you know.

Kind regards,

Jeanette
You never know, we may be related  :)
Nickson - Liverpool, Cheshire, Cretney - Liverpool, Isle of Man, Martin - Warwickshire, Oxlade - Buckinghamshire, Childe - Buckinghamshire, Phythian - Cheshire, Woodward  - Wales, Derbyshire, Cornwall, Jones - Wales, Farnworth - Lancashire, Peace - Orkney Islands Scotland, Duncan - Glasgow Scotland, Rankin - Middlesex  Esssex, Hallmark/Halfmarke - Cheshire,

Offline Housemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Just did a search on the North Wales BMD and have found out my great grandfather's name was Adam Woodward who married Elizabeth Thomas in 1884.  Any relation?

Kind regards,

Jeanette

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanette!

Bingo! Adam and Elizabeth were my g g grandparents their daughter Elizabeth b.1886 was my g grandmother!....

Sarah :)

Offline Housemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Well if this is true, we have debunked the rumour of my relationship to Tom Jones!!!!  We will have to trade more names  :) 

Elizabeth was my grandmother's sister.  My grandmother, Letitia was born in 1912.

I was born in Wrexham but lived in Treuddyn until I was about 3 then went to live in Saltney Ferry until I was 5 after which we emigrated to Australia - 1961. 

This is very exciting! 

Kind regards,

Jeanette

Offline Housemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

What was your grandmother and mothers first and last names?  I spoke to my mother and she is trying to remember people's names - knows their first names but not last  :)

She recalls there was a Griffiths at Eryrys in the family - related to a women called Maer (not sure of the spelling).  I am going to contact my cousin in Wales for more info as she has also been trying to find relatives.

Kind regards,

Jeanette

Offline goldfinch99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

I will have to check with my aunt for more info.  My grandmother had 17 brothers and sisters of which 14 survived.  Some of her brother's and sister's names are, Elizabeth, Margaret, Dilys, Suzanna, Phillip, William, David, Sion, Mary, Robert and my grandmother's name was Letitia.  My grandmother was born in 1912 - not sure how old her parents were but she was number 17 and already an aunt by the time she was born.   They all seemed to have large families!

My mother thinks however, that my greatgrandfather Woodward was not from North Wales but from England.  I am trying to get more information from my cousin who has done more research.  There is a family rumour that he was a brother to James Woodward who is Tom Jones' grandfather.  She has a feeling her grandfather's name was William but is not sure as he did not have any other family members in the area.

My mother who was a Jones (father Samuel Jones - mother Letitia Woodward) lived in Eryrys during her early childhood then moved to Treuddyn.  I will ask her if she knows the Griffiths family.  She was born in 1934 so the timeframe is similar to your grandfather's family.  Because of our large family there was a lot of intermarrying between second and third cousins etc.  The name Griffiths rings a bell - will let you know.

Kind regards,

Jeanette
You never know, we may be related  :)

Hi Jeanette, I'm interested in Joneses in Eryrys in the 1800s, does your research go that far back?