Author Topic: Yorkstone - Iron works  (Read 4042 times)

Offline lgardner2000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkstone - Iron works
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 April 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hello.
Lovely to hear from you.
Yes I am still researching the Yorkstone family when I can.

We were very pleased to hear from you & to read that you live in the Yorkstone house.
We would love to find out more about the house & the foundry he had.

What would you like to know about the Yorkstone family?

Thanks
Allen - Northamptonshire
Ashley - Northamptonshire/Victoria Australia
Beeches
Edmunds
Gardner - Northamptonshire
Hammond - Northamptonshire/Lincolnshire
Payne
Trasler - Northamptonshire
Turnbull - Lincolnshire/Scotland
Yorkstone - Lincolnshire/Scotland

Offline SooG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry I've taken so long to reply, I had to dig out the paperwork!
You probably know a lot of this already, but what I've found out is from the old conveyance papers we inherited when we bought the house.
-Jan 1889- The plot of building land was sold by Charles Lucas to Peter Yorkstone of Boston, Iron & brass founder. The plot cost £45, it was 329 square yards with a frontage of 36 feet. I don't know how long it took to build the house or when they moved in. It is the largest house on the street, we think it probably had 4 bedrooms, one now has been converted into a bathroom. There are not many original features left unfortunately, but there are still picture rails and ceiling roses that are lovely.
-March 1923- The house was sold to a Mr Poole.
There are details of Peter's will which I can send you if you are interested, he left his estate to wife Isabella & also two friends. Peter died on 08/06/1911 and Isabella on 13/01/1923. I don't know where they were buried/cremated?

The conveyance documents are written in beautiful old copperplate with wax seals.
We love our house and wish we could find out more about its history. Do you know if any descendants of the family are still in this area?
If there is anything else I may be able to find out, let me know!
Kind Regards,
Sue.

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 April 16 11:37 BST (UK) »
There are details of Peter's will which I can send you if you are interested, he left his estate to wife Isabella & also two friends. Peter died on 08/06/1911 and Isabella on 13/01/1923. I don't know where they were buried/cremated?
They're buried in Boston Cemetery. Possibly in a double plot. They have headstones.
Peter's says 'husband of Isabella'.
Isabella's says 'wife of Peter'.

Offline lgardner2000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 April 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
Brilliant.
Which cemetery please?
We are driving through Boston in couple of weeks.
Allen - Northamptonshire
Ashley - Northamptonshire/Victoria Australia
Beeches
Edmunds
Gardner - Northamptonshire
Hammond - Northamptonshire/Lincolnshire
Payne
Trasler - Northamptonshire
Turnbull - Lincolnshire/Scotland
Yorkstone - Lincolnshire/Scotland

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 April 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
The only one - in Marian Road.
All the other burial places in the town are designated as churchyards or burial grounds.

http://www.boston.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3561

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
They're buried in Boston Cemetery. Possibly in a double plot. They have headstones.

From what I remember - I only visited once over ten years ago - the pre-1920 area had been allowed to "return to nature".
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 April 16 19:56 BST (UK) »

From what I remember - I only visited once over ten years ago - the pre-1920 area had been allowed to "return to nature".
Admittedly this is several years ago, but I went to the cemetery office armed with a list of death dates for my family and the staff very kindly checked the registers for the plot numbers. They then brought out the cemetery maps, and showed me the location of the plots. They were happy to count from a roadway and a section marker how many plots 'along', and how many plots 'in' the various graves were to make it easier for me to locate the approximate grave. (Most of mine had no tombstones.)

If the grave is in a 'returned to nature' section, then you might be lucky and find that the grass was cut a few weeks ago and is therefore fairly short. Though you might have wade through a load of bluebells.  :)

If you have the death dates, it is very easy for the entries to be found in the burial registers.

Courtesy of Lincolnshire Family History Society's Boston Cemeteries Burial Registers 1789-2014 CD - Peter and Isabella are buried in plots H618 and 617 respectively. Section H is in the 'returned to nature' part.

SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC: A filmed copy of the Boston cemetery burial register(s) is held at Lincolnshire Archives. LA Ref: MF/357-359
The CD also includes entries from the Dissenters' Burial Ground, General Baptist Cemetery, and the Unitarian Chapel Burial Ground. 

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 April 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Some more about the family.

Bedfordshire Times and Independent - Friday 19 January 1923
We regret to announce the death on Saturday of Mrs Yorkstone, aged 72, widow of the late Mr. Peter Yorkstone, a well-known iron founder of Boston, Lincolnshire. She passed away after a lingering illness at the home of her daughter Mrs. T. J. Parratt, High Street, Kimbolton. Her younger daughter, Mrs. W. Wright came over from Quetta, India to see her mother and left England at the end of December for her return voyage. Mrs. Yorkstone also leaves two sons. The funeral took place on Tuesday at Boston Cemetery.
Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian - Saturday 04 March 1944
MERCHANT’S DEATH
MR. “TOMMY” YORKSTONE OF BOSTON
With regret we record the death which took place at the Royal Masonic Hospital, Ravenscourt Park, London, on Sunday of Mr. Thomas Yorkstone of 50, Thorold Street, Boston. A native of Boston, he was the son of the late Peter Yorkstone, who controlled an iron foundry in Blue Street for many years. Mr. Yorkstone was for many years a buyer for Messrs. White, Tomkins and Courage, corn merchants of Mark Lane, London who had an office in Spain Lane, Boston. Twenty three years ago he started in business on his own account as a corn and seed merchant, in which he was engaged until his death. His pleasant manner brought him many friends when he made weekly visits to the markets in the area. His father, being a Scot, it was inevitable that he should have an interest Robbie Burns Day, which he and others organised annually in Boston. Mr. Yorkstone was popular at these functions, and was adept at playing the bagpipes. Some months ago he developed a complaint which necessitated the amputation of one of his legs. Returning home he progressed favourably for a time but the trouble recurred and was the cause of his passing. Mr. Yorkstone, who was a Freemason, being a member of the Lodge of Harmony, leaves a widow and one son. Mr. Alexander Yorkstone who is a chemist. The remains were cremated in London on Wednesday.

Tom

Offline SooG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 April 16 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It's so interesting to hear the facts about the Yorkstone family. I went to the cemetery the other day but it's so large and overgrown, we could not find the graves. Now I know the plot numbers I will go again and have another look.
Does anyone know if any descendants of the family are still in the Boston area?
Thank you,
Sue.