Author Topic: CUNLIFFE, in Rowena NSW COMPLETED  (Read 10663 times)

Offline Juliepen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: CUNLIFFE, in Rowena NSW
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 April 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Yes this is his sisters death.  We knew it was in the 60's but not the date.  Thanks for that.

I forgot to mention they were all born in Liverpool, also stated as West Derby.

Where do you find this information.  I have struggled with it so far?

Many thanks

Julie
xxx
Butson, Barn(e)s, Hartnoll, Reed in Devon,
Shepherd, Turner, Hadley, in Birmingham
Price, Evans, Jones, Morgan, Brecknock
Hill in Malvern
James, Lewis in Glamorgan

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 April 10 11:08 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 10 03:05 BST (UK) »

Hi Julie,
Just a comment or two here if I may.

ELSIE's birth date appears from death information to be 1910 which is alao the birthdate given by you for her brother JOHN H. CUNLIFFE.

However let us assume there was a year between them. :)

If ELSIE imigrated as a married woman  at the same time as JOHN CUNLIFFE and, given that you think the record found by Robert  (#5 ) is correct, being 1927, she was indeed a young bride and he a very young man to have found his fare for the voyage!!

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 April 10 03:25 BST (UK) »
Sue this may be their births....

Birth Jun 1909 
CUNLIFFE Elsie West Derby 8b/384

Birth Dec 1910 
CUNLIFFE John H West Derby 8b/340

and marriage of Elsie
Marriages Mar quarter 1936   
COUPE John H    Cunliffe    Crosby 8b/761    
CUNLIFFE Elsie    Coupe    Crosby 8b/761   

Cheers
Cando

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 April 10 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,

So, looks as if the immigration was post 1936-  for the couple at least, if Julie's information is correct about them arriving married

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 April 10 03:42 BST (UK) »
On 4 Feb 1958 the following family embarked from Glasgow to NZ travelling 1st Class.  I will pm you the dob's of the children as there is a possibility they may be living.  All had UK passports and country of intended residence was New Zealand.

COUPE John H  dob 6.12.1912  Married, Draughtsman  Address in UK 36 Corona Road, Waterloo, Liverpool
COUPE Elsie dob 30.4.1909    Housewife
COUPE John R  Apprentice Draughtsman
COUPE Paul Henry  Apprentice Engineer
COUPE Clive K  Scholar

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 April 10 03:49 BST (UK) »
Death in NZ

1995/52882   
COUPE   John Henry   Date of birth  7 June 1912

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 April 10 05:31 BST (UK) »
Expanding on previous information - Departing London on 23 November 1927 on the BENDIGO John Henry CUNLIFFE 17 years, Occupation Newsboy, and last address in UK -  30 Granville Rd, Seaforth, Liverpool.  He was ticketed for Sydney.

When John Henry CUNLIFFE was six months old he was living with his parents in his grandmother's [Mary Ellen BALDWIN] home.  His father Henry Arkwright was a dock labourer born in Scotland.  So we now know that his 2nd given name was Henry.

I cannot see John Henry on any Electoral Rolls in Australia to 1954 [South Australia is not available]  It makes me wonder if he perhaps moved on to another county.  What was the date of the last contact at Rowena?

Cando

Offline Juliepen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 April 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
Wow, Cando and Sue, this information is amazing.  I am so grateful to you both for the time you have spent. 

The challenge I have is that I am doing this research for my neighbour, Who is Henry Arkwrights' granddaughter.  Her father rarely spoke about his family, as he moved from Liverpool to Wales and lost touch with some of them.  John is the only one that no-one seems to know anything about, and I am trying my best to find details of him.

However, I am now confused.  Initially when I set up this post, I truly believed that Elsie and her brother John had travelled together abroad.  I searched for John Henry, but was unable to find anything until Robert posted the ship details.  I have since found out that on the same ship and the same sailing, there was also a John Robert Cunliffe, also travelling to Sydney, also born in West Derby in 1910.  Now, I can find a death for John Robert in Australia, but not John Henry.

I wondered if he had moved back to the UK and no-one new( as they had moved from the area he had left originally to go to Sydney).  The John Henry that was born in Dec quarter of 1910 died in St Helens, Merseyside, England.  Which is roughly the right area, but I cant believe he would have had no contact with any family members at all until he died.  I can find no death in the UK for John Robert, so I assume again rightly or wrongly that it is John Robert is the relation, rather than John Henry.

This is now thrown to the wind as Cando, you have now said that when he was 6 months old, John Henry was living with his father Henry Arkwright in Grandmas house.  So now I know this is the correct one, I am no closer really to finding him.  I am also wondering when he returned to the Uk?

I am also intrigued as to the fact that Henry Arkwright was born in Scotland.  My neighbours younger brother has stated this before, but all the census information I have found states elsewhere.  Can you tell me where you found this please, as it is also thought that my neighbours father Richard joined the Scottish forces and we have never been able to clarify this.

The only information we have about Rowena was that it was written on the back of a photograph of John as a young lad, perhaps in his early 20's we think in my neighbours fathers writing, and again have assumed that this was his last known address, as it was written c/o the address.

Thanks for your help

Julie
xx
Butson, Barn(e)s, Hartnoll, Reed in Devon,
Shepherd, Turner, Hadley, in Birmingham
Price, Evans, Jones, Morgan, Brecknock
Hill in Malvern
James, Lewis in Glamorgan