Author Topic: BEVAN bible - (oxwich castle-wales)  (Read 28195 times)

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BEVAN bible - (oxwich castle-wales)
« on: Wednesday 23 March 05 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I recently purchased 2 family bibles relating to the Bevan family (of Oxwich castle), Wales.
Inside was a list of some family member's births etc.

If you would like any details please let me know
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BEVAN bible - (oxwich castle-wales)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 05 09:36 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested with the information from this bible. I have Bevan's from Swansea town and reportably from the Gower.

You can instant message me if you would prefer.
Regards Jen  ;D

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 05 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Welsh Jen

I only joined yesterday and am getting really puzzled by all the boards, sending messages etc. So sorry for the delay in responding.

I purchased the Photograph albums from my local antique dealer, for the use in a small after-school genealogy club which I ran. 

The photos are beautiful, some going back to circa 1830's. A treasure for the ancestor's of these people.

The piece of paper with the notes reads as follows;-

James BEVAN born 04/01/1817
Mary his wife born 05/02/1821. Married December 13th 1844

children

Mary BEVAN  30/10/1845
John              18/04/1847
(Samuel)        02/01/1849
James            28/10/1850
Rowland         25/02/1853
John               18/05/1855
Sil                   23/04/1857
Elizabeth        10/11/1859
Ann                 24/12/1863

There are also years next to these birth dates, but I am unsure as to if they relate to death's marriage's etc..

One of the first photo's in the album shows a beautiful picture of "Francis and Mary BEVAN (Grandma and Grandpa, Oxwich Castle in Gower, died 19(15 or 16).

Some of the related familie's shown in the photo's are  Brockie?, Heath, Trevony?, Clement.

Ps loads of other names appear next to the photo's, which include Wedding's, Military and School.
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 05 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Not to worry about the delay  ;D & welcome to Rootschat!

Thanks for the additional information I shall have a look at the names I have. No doubt others will be in touch with you regarding this bible. I have transcribed many monumental inscriptions for the name Bevan in the Gower region, the name is known in the area and many are researching the Gower Bevan's (as well as The Gower Beynon's!)

Kindest Regards Jen  :)

Offline Cordelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 May 05 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi - I was very excited to read about the Bevan family photograph album as this has links to the family I am researching.  I am researching Silvanus and Anne Bevan from Bay View House, Overton, Porteynon.  This couple were cousins and both trace back to Francis Bevan and Anne Beynon at Oxwich Castle.  Silvanus is descended from Silvanus and Elizabeth Gibbs then back to Francis and Anne, Anne gets another generation in via George and Jane George, Francis and ? and then Francis and Anne Beynon. 
"Francis and Mary BEVAN (Grandma and Grandpa, Oxwich Castle in Gower, died 19(15 or 16). are my Anne's brother and sister-in-law.   Anne died in the 1920s. 

I have loads of information on this extended family which I would be happy to share.  Would there be a possibility of scanning these photos?

Look forward to hearing from you.  Frances Bevan.

Offline Bill1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 October 08 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am following the Bird family from Cardiff and Cowbridge. The tree has 4 Bevans in it
Llewellyn Bevan father of Margaret b 1768 and William b 1773, as well as William Bevan b 1830 married to Margaret Bird b 1834.
Would be very interested if they are mentioned

best regards
Bill1

Offline Cordelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 October 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Regrettably I was never able to get hold of the bible in question, so I can't answer your question.  The names you mention do not crop up in the letters I have.  Sorry I am unable to help.

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guy's

Just to let you know I still have the Bevan Albums. I did send photocopies to the museum but never received a reply. I totally forgot about it untill reading these messages.

I have just sent my hubby down to the office to get the Albums. Give me an hour and hopefully I can help further.

Gem x

Offline Cordelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem.  I didn't get in touch again - it began to feel as if I was stalking you!  I am still extremely interested in the photos - you did once mention perhaps scanning them for me.  I am in the process of getting printing quotes to self publish a small selection of the 200 family letters and would love to be able to illustrate them with photographs of the actual family.

Best wishes, Frances.