Author Topic: Thomas Sully  (Read 11517 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Sully
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Marie

Very interesting.  These predate my current research although will be food for thought going forward.

I would be interested to hear of the Mellors as whilst it may prove a bit early on the basis of the above info it should prove very interesting.

Regards

TB

Offline vowles

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 November 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
     Notes on the Mellors name; Family Grave in st marys church to name of Mellors( no dates).

Mr R Mellors read a paper on the life of  Mr Watson Fothergil before the Thoroton society in 1909.

The Arnold School Board held a special meeting,present Messrs.Mellors, Pemblton,Shirtcliffe,the Rev M J Truman,and Mr Spencer ,the clerk.Mr Frederick Fell , of Burnley , was appointed assistant -master ,and the British school being now crowded, it was desided to appoint Mr James Thomas Goder as an assistant -master until the Goverment Exination in November.
It was resolved to re-open the night schools for the winter season on October 8th ,for two nights per week ,at a fee of 1p .per week, and that to those pupils who passed the Goverment Examination in April last in two subjects, the fees for the forthcoming session be remitted. A committee was appointed to make further arrangments. It was agreed to have a tonic-sol-far singing class on Saturday evenings ,at a charge of one half penny per night,pupils
bringing thier own books , Mr Byford ,of Nottingham,to be invited to be the teacher. The arrangments for the Thursday evening art class were deferred. The Vicar having reported that the Daybrook National Infants school will be closed in November ,a Committee was appointed to confer with the teacher
, Miss Holmes, with a view to the continuance of the schools either in the present or in some other building untill the proposed new rooms at Daybrook will be ready.-Quoted from a Newspaper of September 7th 1878.

By arrangement made  between the Vicar and Mr Robert Mellows ,acting as Chairman of the School Board ,1883, the premises were taken over by the Board on Mondays Tuesdays, Wednesdays ,and Thursdays ,from 9 in the morning untill 6 o clock in the evening ,and on Fridays from 9-45 for school purposes , the reason for the latter provison being that the trusts of the school premises required religious instruction to be given according to the principles of the Church of England. This  arrangment  was carried out so long as the School Board  continued without any complaint or interference. The sum of £65 wa paid by the Board to the vicar for the purchase of the furniture and fittings.

More to follow ,Marie.         

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Marie

Thank you for the information on the Mellors.  Whilst these post-date my research it is clear that the family was well known in the area for a number of years.

Did you have an opportunity to look at the will of Thomas Sully in 1741?  I am interested to see if that offers any leads in my research.

Thanks again.

TB

Offline dave_howitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 04:46 GMT (UK) »
I have an indenture from 1653 that mentions Henry Sulley the father of thomas sulley of Arnold, nottinghamshire. The indenture also mentions a Danyell Sulley but does not explain the relationship to Henry Sulley.  Thomas Sulley married Alice Howett a distant relative of mine.  Does anyone Have any of these Sulley's in their family tree?

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 January 11 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

I am sure that these must feature somewher in my tree.  Do you know when Thomas Sulley, mentioned in the Indenture was born, as well as the marriage details to Alice Howett and details of their children?

Thanks in advance.

TB

Offline dave_howitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 January 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I have not yet discovered any details about birth or marriage dates.  All I know is this; Henry Howett, Alice howetts father, made a will in 1653 and in it he leaves money to his daughter Alice (written Hales in the will) Sulley.  Henry Howett does not mention any of Alices children but he mentions his two other daughters children so I believe that Thomas and Alice had not yet had children by 1653.  The indenture says " Thomas Sulley and his new wife Alice" So apparently they were still considered newly married in 1653.  I do not know when Thomas Sully or Alice Howett were born but I believe it was somewhere between 1610 and 1630 based on the birth and deaths of immediate relatives of Alice. Alice Howett was from Long Eaton Derbyshire England and the local parish in Sawley so they were probably married there but I have not seen a record of it.

Offline LH35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 January 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
There is several Sulleys  dating back to the 1500s on this link of Marriages at St Marys Arnold, I found it very useful.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tomals/parish_register_of_arnold_marria.htm

wiltshire/wilsher,/Hartley/Holmes
Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire/yorkshire/Scotland

Offline dave_howitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 January 11 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I'll check out that link but I am unsure if I will find the marriage since the men usually married the women in the parish of the womans town and then would bring them to live in their town.

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 January 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information.

Much appreciated.

Regards

TB