Author Topic: Muthill, Perthshire.  (Read 82533 times)

Offline Lemon Nelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • The never ending journey
    • View Profile
Re: Muthill, Perthshire.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 May 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hope you don't mind me adding a link here for people who might be interested in Muthill and other areas near hand
http://caledonianconnections.com/1832MuthillRElectoralRoll.aspx

There are 1832 electoral roles, and poorhouse list. It is an interesting collection for the Muthill and surrounding area
Tripney, Howes, Lapsley, Davies, Evans, Allan, Green,

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 May 10 01:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lemon Kelly, I had looked at this website, it is very good, but my Peter Fisher was by then living in Gilmerton, went to Monzie Church, and I can't find Gilmerton which was owned by the Maxtone families who built Gilmerton village.  We have tried to get the Maxtone papers and have one disk but there is no tenants listed.  Peter is mentioned on the "Builders of Cultoughey" list who worked there.
Thank you again, Annie

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 May 10 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi BruceL, Yes, I know where Gilmerton is, visited there in 2006, but I thought that there would be tenants lists/books/etc, because they had moved before 1841 census.  The website re 1832 lists do not have Gilmerton on there. I sent an e-mail but didn't get a reply.
So, I assumed that the Maxtone family may have had a list of tenants.
Peter Fisher always stated he came from Monzie, but there is no births for Peter there.
Don't know where to try next, thanks, Annie

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 May 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
The National Archives of Scotland have ref GD155

Papers of the Maxtone Graham Family of Cultoquhey, Perthshire

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline CaledonC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great grand father James Plowman of Wick Caithness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 May 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
The church building shown on the Google map is not Monzie Church but Monzie Free Church built  in 1869 and is now a house . Monzie Parish Church ( the parish church )is in Monzie village about  2 miles north west of Gilmerton beside what is termed locally the "Roman Bridge " ( actually a 17th century pack bridge ).The old road to Perth went up the hill thro'Fowlis Wester . Gilmerton was created when the present road line was created after the Toll Pike Acts in the early 19th century and the low lying  boggy  ground was drained into the Pow.

Col
Lamont Nicol Plowman Cormack Begg Leith Bremner Sharp Cram Barr McFarlane Mayall Hutcheson Hutchison

Offline CaledonC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 07:11 BST (UK) »
Anste .Sorry missed your e mail re my 1832 Electoral Roll Site .There was this entry

Alexander Fisher , residenter , tenant , farm , Glouroirem

Had a quick look at Stobies/Thomson's map but could not locate " Glouroirem " . Currently transcribing the Ochtertyre Rent Roll for this period and will keep an eye open for Fishers .The northern part of the Parish was mainly owned  by the Murrays of Ochtertyre not the Maxtones .
Lamont Nicol Plowman Cormack Begg Leith Bremner Sharp Cram Barr McFarlane Mayall Hutcheson Hutchison

Offline CaledonC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 07:49 BST (UK) »

Monzie Kirk

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Col, Did not know there had been two Churches, on my visit in 2006 I visited the one in the picture.  We had thought that the Church had burnt down or something and rebuilt. Will note your information, also re the Murrays, as I think over the years we have been led astray.  Not that it might help much to find Peter but adds to his story.
No Alexander Fisher that we know of are connected. They had a Janet and a Thomas named as their children and they were not on the Gowans side so far.
Thank you again for this information it gives us another lead.
Hi Bleckie, Have a disk of the Maxtone Graham family, nothing on it to help us with the Fishers. But, previously they had sent us the lists of the Builders and Peter is on there. Peter was a Stonebreaker.
Annie