Author Topic: Navy Records of Henry George, and Ralph Charles Dawkins  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Paul Johnson of Hartlepool UK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Support Hartlepool. Hang all French spies!
    • View Profile
Navy Records of Henry George, and Ralph Charles Dawkins
« on: Tuesday 13 April 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with this Naval Record of Henry George Dawkins.

I can make out many of the names of the ships that he worked on, but not all. The ones that I can read are Pembroke II, Blenheim, Victory II, and Victorious, but what are the others. Beside the names are numbers under the 'List and No.' column, but I don't know where I can reference these numbers and find more information on these ships. I'd like to find out if the Blenheim 14 336 is the one that ended up wrecked.
Under 'Badges' there are a list of letters and numbers. What are these? And at the bottom under 'Remarks' there are symbols and writing that I cannot decipher.

Click on the link below to view the image.

Any help from anyone will be gratefully appreciated.

Paul
Surnames:- Johnson, Dawkins, Crutchley, Tiplady, Cranney, Laybourn, Rough.

Areas:- Hartlepool, Cleveland, Co. Durham, Cumberland, Westmoreland, Yorkshire, Bedfordshire

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Navy Record of Henry George Dawkins
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

An RN expert will no doubt be along to add to or correct my thoughts. Some if not most of the ships will be shore bases. If you search for each you should find out which. His rank starts as Blacksmith’s Mate, then Blacksmith and rises to various classes of Engine Room Artificer. Shore bases had engine rooms, which no doubt provided heat and power to the buildings, and they would do most repairs in-house.

Badges refer to Good Conduct Badges – G = Granted; D = Deducted and R = Restored. The number underneath is the current total. Minor offences, such as drunkenness would result in losing one or more. They were worth 1d a day each in pay, and he would have started off on about 1s 1d a day it was a significant amount. Most deductions were restored after six months of good behaviour. You can check the dates. If there is a blank form on the NA website you should print it off.

The list and number refer to the muster roll of the ‘ship’. His number on the list therefore changes each time he moves.

Most of the remarks seem to refer to the changes in badges. The first seems to refer to a gratuity for raising of something – maybe a ship. Vide is Latin for ‘see’. The ledgers they refer to will be long gone. The reason that RN papers are usually so sparse is that most of a man’s record was given to the man when he left.

Hope that helps

Ken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 03:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken.

That does help a lot. Now I will have to look into the shore bases that he may have served at.

Paul

Areas:- Hartlepool, Cleveland, Co. Durham, Cumberland, Westmoreland, Yorkshire, Bedfordshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 April 10 03:00 BST (UK) »
I have discovered that Pembroke was a Naval Shore Base during World War One. Does anyone know if this was the Pembroke II that is mentioned in this naval record?

Paul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 April 10 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

I have another one here that I would be grateful if you could help me with.

Under date and period of engagement on this one, there is a word that I do not understand. There are words under if discharged...., and remarks that I also do not understand. Can you decipher what they say?

Thanks again in advance for your help Ken.

Paul

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Navy Records of Henry George, and Ralph Charles Dawkins
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 April 10 06:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry I cannot read it. Attachments should be at least 150 KB, especially of this size. Your last one was 199 Kb, and we only need the top third of this one.

Ken