Author Topic: Archer  (Read 3954 times)

Offline mdevanshk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archer
« on: Tuesday 13 April 10 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to research the Archer family in the IOM.  The earliest I have found is Robert Archer c 1770 m Jane Fargher.  Further along the 1841 census only shows 15 Archers on the island so I assume that the family migrated from elsewhere at some point.

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Mike

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Archer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
plug archer into search on www.manxnotebook.com
Robert Archer Draper was most well known in 19th C a grandson of original Robt Archer but there were others eg a Joseph Archer d aged 79 (see note in Manx Advertiser 27 jan 1820: d in Athol St)

Robert Archer m Jane fargher Onchan 17910517 + had 3 ch  before Jane died (bur Onchan 17951214)
sons James + Wm produced families
dau Isabella m thomas Bridson + also had a family
you might like to check out wills (see www.iomfhs.im) + follow research link to indices for wills, burials etc

there was also a marriage of Elizth Archer to a Frissell - wittnesses were john archer;wm anderson

there was also a Matthew Archer watchmaker from Liverpool but he died prior to 1841
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline mdevanshk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 10 04:58 BST (UK) »
Frances

many thanks for the reply.  I am decended from Robert and Jane, Robert being my G G G G Grandfather.

Do you have any thought or info on where the Archers might have originated from?  It seems clear that they are not an "original" Manx family. 

I would be happy to share any information I have on Archer/Fargher/Cowin though I should admit that much of my information is collated from other researchers.

regards

Mike

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 10 09:25 BST (UK) »
no the entry in Marriage reg gives no clues - there were disturbances in Ireland late 18th C and quite a number of Irish families escaped to Island
The wills offer no help - one is just Jane Fargher (early death) + next is Matthew Archer known to have come from Liverpool - his widow remarried but can't find her in census - a daughter later married on Isaland but I can't find her on census - there a some 3 Archer entries in 1796 Gore's directory for Liverpool but only one in 1790 (+ that has no 1st name so possibly a new arrival there)
There was one earlier Archer family but they don't appear to have produced any lasting family on Island (the will + burial is of Sarah archer als brown thus probably non-manx + prob in childbirth or post natal complications as there is an infant also buried)
There may be some property records - I havn't checked these - but judging from paucity of wills I suspect little money in the family until the two successful Roberts
any thing with a Manx Connection