Author Topic: Nineteenth century army barracks in London  (Read 12384 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Nineteenth century army barracks in London
« on: Friday 16 April 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have three specific questions about nineteenth army barracks in London.

Does anyone know the date the St George Barracks in St Martin in the Fields was built. I know it closed in 1911
Also the dates of the Portman Street Barracks in Marylebone. I know they were built in the C18th which is a bit vague. I haven't a clue when they closed.
The third question is about the Kensington Barracks 1858-1972. Was it mainly Guards who were stationed there.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nineteenth century army barracks in London
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 10 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

For St George's Barracks the earliest document in the National Archives is dated 1828 - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=1096088&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2CST%2CGEORGES%2CBARRACKS&accessmethod=0

There is nothing of any help for Portman Street. Kensington Barracks would be used by any battalion doing guard duty at the royal palaces. On occassion battalions other than from guard regiments have provided the guard.

If you can find a London directory online it should have an annals section which will give key dates such as public buildings being built. Or the Alan Godfrey reprinted OS plans have a brief history of the area covered.

Ken

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 10 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for that information.

Can I continue on asking questions about barracks this time in Woolwich.

I have worked out some of the barracks but I believe there was a Shrapnel barracks (Shooters Hill south west of the common) established circa 1854. Was this associated with the Royal Field Artillery? I know it was still there after the Second World War. Was the hut barracks just another name for Shrapnel barracks?

Grand Depot Barracks was on New Road Woolwich (slightly north east of the Royal Artillery barracks on the north end of Woolwich common). Was this the Royal Engineers? I don't have the dates for this depot or anything about it. Lots on the Royal Engineers building barracks but not a lot on their barracks. I believe the Army Service Corps also had a barracks on New Road?

And finally I know there were lots of Lancers in Woolwich at least from 1829 but I can't find where they specifically were. Infantry and marines yes but cavalry not seemingly associated with the artillery I can't find.

Regards

Valda

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
Army Lists tend just to give the name of the town rather than the full address. You may be able to find them in the census, or in a directory. Or you could search for them on the NA website, as they have correspondence and even plans of most barracks.

Ken

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 April 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
'History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery - Between the Wars, 1919-1939' states that Shrapnel Barracks was built in 1908.  A Field Brigade was stationed there between the wars.  The site was later used for the Queen Elizabeth Military Hospital.
Grand Depot Barracks is described as older, and as a 19th century enclave in a walled enclosure.
The RA Depot, the Riding Establishment RHA, the brigade at Shrapnel Barracks, the Royal Military Academy, the Military College of Science are listed as the garrison between the wars.
Cambridge and Red Barracks are also mentioned, but with no clue as to their occupants.  A quote:  '[woolwich] its population consist[ed] overwhelmingly of Gunners.'
A sketch map shows Shrapnel Bks  between Shooters Hill Road and Ha Ha Road, Red Barracks on Frances Street and Grand Deepot as an extension of the RA Barracks, where Wellington Street and Grand Depot Road converge.
A

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 April 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for your replies.

My understanding is that after the Royal Marines pulled out (1869) just south of the actual dockyard area the barracks were named Red and Cambridge. Red was the Royal Army Ordnance Corps until 1921 and Cambridge from 1873 until they moved to Mill Hill in 1905 was the Middlesex regiment. I have Red barracks on Henry Street and Cambridge barracks on Frances street (Jeff Knaggs website 1901 institutions - Cambridge barracks RG13 568 folio 121-137 and  Red Barracks RG13 568 folio 138-148) - though in 1881 the Field artillery appear to be there.

The 'Camps Shrapnel Barracks and Royal Horse Infirmary' are/is certainly on the 1901 census RG13 563 folio 177-192 (Charlton) The Royal Field Artillery are there at the time of the census.

This is quoted in this document on the web

'He pointed out that the Hospital itself had been built on the site of Shrapnel Barracks, a hutted camp dating from the Crimea and home originally to cavalry units stationed in Woolwich and later the field artillery brigade.'

ROYAL ARTILLERY HISTORICAL SOCIETY summer meeting 2007

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:7m1SnFn19n8J:www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Summer07-tour_of_woolwich.doc+%22shrapnel+barracks%22&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

These are the military establishments in Woolwich on the 1891 census (the usual no show from the Lancers)

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Woolwich_Registration_District,_1891_Census_Street_Index_M-O

The Kent regiment I think are militia. I admit I can't see a Shrapnel barracks in 1891 but I can see the Hut barracks and the Grand Depot when you check the census appears to be Royal Artillery whereas its Hussars in 1901, but then on census night that's the issue anyone could have moved in, so maybe Grand Depot is more of a mixture but basically artillery and Shrapnel barracks appeared in the late C19th on the site of where the Lancers were (though they are still supposed to be in Woolwich in 1914 - 6 regiments)! Personally I'm beginning to think the Lancers are a bit of a mirage. I accept they were deployed a great deal abroad but you might expect to find some hint of them in Woolwich if that is where some of the regiments were supposed to be based.

TNA has plans for hut barracks dated 1878. Nothing for Grand Depot but it looks at least early C19th

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/66735

Regards

Valda

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 20:19 BST (UK) »
I have Red barracks on Henry Street and Cambridge barracks on Frances street (Jeff Knaggs website 1901 institutions - Cambridge barracks RG13 568 folio 121-137 and  Red Barracks RG13 568 folio 138-148)
I don't think that is correct. See this Google satellite image and streetview image below: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4885118,0.0553261,172m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en  Red Barracks Road can be seen running East off Frances Street. The old entrance to the barracks is still there. Cambridge Barracks is slightly further South towards  Artillery Barracks on Repository Road.