Author Topic: Baptist chapel near Llanspyddid. Powells  (Read 21866 times)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptist chapel near Llanspyddid. Powells
« on: Friday 16 April 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if chapel records exist for the baptist chapel, now demolished I think, that was close to Llanspyddid and if so where they are kept? My ggg grandfather William Powell was born in Llanspyddid some time in the 1790s before moving to Merthyr Tydfil and marrying Mary Williams, a Merthyr girl, there in 1824. I cannot find any record of his birth in the parish records and since the family were baptists while they were in Merthyr and in subsequent generations I wondered if they may have attended the local baptist chapel in Llanspyddid. William probably had a younger brother called John who was living with William in Merthyr in 1841. Maybe this rings a bell with someone who can tell me something about the relevant branch of the (many) Powells of Llanspyddid. Here's hoping...
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist chapel near Llanspyddid
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

google genuki llanspyddid.

This gives info of records.

Hope this will help you.

Omega  :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist chapel near Llanspyddid. Powells
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 April 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Omega
I've tried googling a number of ways but no luck, apart from discovering that the chapel was at Pontestyll, so maybe there are no records anymore.
Can I therefore put out a call for any Powells from Llanspyddid who know of a William Powell in their family tree who fits the description in my original post? I'm trying to find out who his parents were.
Thanks
Greygirl
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline garfydd

• I am sorry but my email address has been disabled
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Dear greygirl,
re. Pontestyll Bapt. Chapel, LLanspyddid. I have a transcript of the Chr. register & I surveyed the graveyard about 15 years ago-reorded all the legible inscriptions.
Garfydd

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 18:37 BST (UK) »
Garfydd
A ray of hope!
Do you have any William Powells on record born some time in the 1790s - most probably between 1793 and 1798 - and if you do, who were his parents/sibs?
How did you manage to get hold of the christening records?
Greygirl

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Greygirl,
I tried a reply yesterday & failed!  There was Wm. Powell chr. at Llanspyddid P.Ch. 1792 one of about five children. I do emails in my local library & forgot to bring my notes with me-they were not marr.  Llanspyddid. Nothing relevant in the Pontestyll "chr." register-the original is at the N.A. at Kew. How do you know that Wm. be born at Llanspyddid. Do you have the names of his first two sons & first two daughters=an indicator of Gd. parents names.
Garfydd

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Garfydd
William gave his place of birth as Llanspyddid in the Merthyr Tydfil census returns 1851-1861. Using his age as quoted on the census he was born some time between 1792 and 1798. In the 1841 census there is a John Powell four years younger than William and what appear to be his children living at the same address as William, his wife Mary and their children which made me think that John and William may have been brothers.

William and Mary married in 1824 in Merthyr Tydfil. Those children I have been able to find are
Margaret Powell b1828
David Powell b1833
Lydia Powell and Ann Powell (twins) b07.09.1841
John Powell b1843
William Powell b1844
...though I guess from the spacing of the children that there were probably others who may not have survived

I looked through the parish records for Llanspyddid and couldn't find any William Powells christened between 1780 and 1815
Greygirl

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
There was Wm. Powell chr. at Llanspyddid P.Ch. 1792 one of about five children.
Hi Garfydd
Are you able to give me the names of the other members of this William Powell's family please?
Greygirl

Offline garfydd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 December 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
greygirl
I am back!
Wm.Powell=Mary ---? name? M.Tydfil 1824.
chr. by William Powell & Margaret
            William 1793-1797
             John 1801
Will get back to you after looking at my recons.
Garfydd