Author Topic: Tiverton HALL Sarah bapt 1750  (Read 2673 times)

Offline ednamay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tiverton HALL Sarah bapt 1750
« on: Saturday 17 April 10 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi any help greatly appreciated. From LDS/IGI....

>>Sarah HALL bapt 18 Mar 1750 Tiverton m Honour father Jospeh Hall>>

any further details from PR's please? eg if Joseph Hall as the father was also curate/vicar of Tiverton at that time and if so any idea of how long he was there ?

thanks in anticipation

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tiverton HALL Sarah bapt 1750
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
IGI has this marriage listed:-

Joseph HALL to Honor HEATH 21.9.1746 St Mary Arches, Exeter, Devon.

Could this be Sarah's parents ...?

Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline ednamay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
thanks priscilla for your response ... can the 1746 entry you gave be Joseph Hale not Hall please ? Am new to this site and Devon as well so please bear with me.

Am actually trying to find parentage  of Honoria Hall of Tiverton who married Henry Brooks of Littleham by licence 5 March 1754 St Mary Arches Exeter ( I have copy). Have heard it said she is a daughter of Rev Joseph Hall who was Vicar Salcombe Regis between 1754 and 1791; his wife was a Honoria also (maiden name unknown). If Rev Hall was at Tiverton and had "youngest dau Sarah" bapt Tiverton in 1750 then that helps. But there is no Tiverton OPC as a kind soul to assist.

Either way your advice makes me even more confused as there were possibly two Joseph and Honoria Hall families around Exeter / Exe River parishes at about that time...and hers is not a common name....To add fuel to the fire, I have a Salcombe Regis bapt 1740 Mary Hall m Honoria f Joseph which may or may not be an older dau of the Rev Hall if he was at SR at that time. I think Honoria Hall of Tiverton marr 1754 was born say 1728 to 1736.

I am trying to get as many details as possible before I task DRO to take it further if they can ; so if anyone can shed some light on this puzzle I would be most grateful .

Thanks

Offline Paul B2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 December 19 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Honour Birchinsha of this parish married Joseph Hall Vicar of Salcombe [Regis] on 11 January 1729 at Clyst St Lawrence
Honour was born on 16 Apr 1704 at Clist St Lawrence. Her father was David Birchinsha who was at Jesus College Oxford 1675-1683, Rector of Lydford Devon 1688-1701?, Vicar of Salcombe 1701-1702? and Rector of Clist St LawrenceNov 1702- 1729. Her mother was Dorothy.  The parish registers on familysearch don't start until late in the eighteenth century and there are gaps in the bishop's transcripts on familysearch.
In Gentleman's Magazine on google books it has a death entry:
July 1 [1833]. At Great Torrington, aged 83 Sarah, youngest daughter of the Rev. Joseph Hall, Vioar of Salcombe, and great- grandaughter of Joseph Hall, Bishop of Exeter and afterwards of Norwich. 

Offline Paul B2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 December 19 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Honoria was the first child of Rev Joseph Hall and Honour Birchinsha and was baptized on 7 Jan 1730-1 at Salcombe Regis. 
I believe that Joseph was baptized at Tiverton on 30 Jun 1704 son of Richard Hall.  It doesn't show Joseph's mother on the parish register or bishop's transcript and there are three marriages of a Richard Hall in Tiverton.