Author Topic: James Mossman- executed in 1573  (Read 24473 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Mossman- executed in 1573
« on: Saturday 17 April 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know anything about James Mossman- who was apparently a supporter of Mary Queen of Scots and after being captured defending Edinburgh castle against the English, was executed on 3rd May 1573 with William Kirkcaldy? I have read one report that said his head was then put on a pike on the walls of the castle...

As far as I know, James had been jeweler and goldsmith to Mary Queen of Scots.

His first wife was Marriotte Arres, who he married about 1564- they had a son John I believe.
I dont know when Marriotte died, but James then married Janet King- daughter of Alexander King, advocate in 1570.

I am curious to know more about James, and also wonder what would have become of his wife and son if he was executed by the crown??

Any help would be grand- thanks very much!
Kylie B

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Mossman- executed in 1573
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,

don't know if you have these Links but here goes, these links take you directly to the pages.

It would be possible that their belongings and anything else they owned would have been confiscated, looking at this makes me think that his family would have been put on the streets without anything.

I can't find anything on the family after the event concerning James, I hope what I have given you may help a little.

Best regards.

Archie.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Hl8VAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA145&dq=james+mossman+1573&hl=en&ei=lIAeTP6UHceH4QbB3fmIDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CEoQ6AEwCDge#v=onepage&q=james%20mossman%201573&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=ET8IAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA422&dq=james+mossman+1573&hl=en&ei=-oEeTMLfDuKJ4gbrht2sDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQ6AEwADgo#v=onepage&q=james%20mossman%201573&f=false

http://www.leithhistory.co.uk/2006/11/27/civil-war/ this link is to Google Books it explains what he had done,  http://books.google.com/books?id=VTNNh7yai2oC&pg=PA278&dq=james+mossman+1573&hl=en&ei=WHceTJWkA5KD4QaV9uGMDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=james%20mossman%201573&f=false

This is another one,  http://books.google.com/books?id=C8UZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA324&dq=james+mossman+1573&hl=en&ei=434eTJrcG5P64AaUz62EDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=james%20mossman%201573&f=false

The gold framework of the crown of Scotland was refashioned by James Mossman in Edinburgh about 1540,

James Mossman, was the owner of the building in the High Street which is now called John Knox's House.

Grange and goldsmith James Mossman (constructor of 'John Knox's' house) were dragged backwards in a cart and hanged at the Mercat Cross.

James Mossman and James Leckie, goldsmiths, were hanged on the third of August, 1573, and their heads afterwards set up on the most prominent places of the castle wall.

John Knox House is one of Scotland's most important medieval buildings at the hub of the city's commercial, cultural and religious identity. This, the first authoritative account of its history, reflects the life and work of Scotland's most famous Protestant reformer. The narrative also incorporates the story of Sir James Mossman, who died for the Catholic faith in 1573.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 June 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Archie
I hadnt seen any of these- despite doing a search for James Mossman- so thanks very much.

It would seem James's wife Janet made petition to the King- found something on the parlimentary records site- that seems to indicate she was granted a remission...of what I am not sure. So hopefully it means she was not left entirely high and dry- and hopefully her own family would have been able to help her.

Any ideas on how I might find out what was 'remissed' to her? Or if she even remarried after James Mossman's death?

Thanks again for the links and info Archie- much appreciated!
Kylie

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 June 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,

glad to be of help, here is a cracking site about Mossman and it is your one, just click on the Mossman name in blue, loads of information, I think you will be quite happy with this.

http://historical.whitleynet.org/kaler.htm

Here is another one.  http://glasgowsculpture.com/pg_biography.php?sub=mossman_w

If I can get more I will send it to you.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these Archie- they are great!

I am still trying to find something that makes mention of James' second wife Janet King though....they apparently married in 1570, so 3 year before he was killed. But I have not found any mention of any children of their marriage. THis stuff says James' son John from his first marriage inherited his fathers lands 19 years later...but what happened to Janet and any children in the intervening period???

Still also trying to work out if James was executed for being Catholic and supporting Mary Queen of Scots, or actual fraud...!!

THanks again Archie- every little clue helps!
Kylie B

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie,

I am sorry if this list is to long but I felt that it might help. I have also attached the James Mossman Coat of Arms which is on the frontage of the house in the High Street, notice that the " J " is an " I ".

Best Regards.

Archie.

On the 16th December 1558 the Magistrates and Council caused James Mossman, Goldsmith, in their presence to weigh particularly the whole Kirk jewels and vakuables.

NOTES ON THE SCOTTISH MINTS.

1538. John Mossman, warden

1564-1567.  James Mossman, assayer.

The Laird of Restalrig, though condemned to die also, was afterwards set free, but on the same scaffold with Kirkcaldy was hanged another of the Castilians, as they were called, James Mossman, Queen Mary’s goldsmith, whose initials and coat-of-arms, with other interesting carved stonework, still adorn his ancient booth in the High Street—now John Knox’s House. Mossman’s descendants of the same name are still goldsmiths in Edinburgh, as one may see from the name over the doorway of the jeweller’s shop at 134 Princes Street.

The link below explains exactly how they all died, not very nice, it would seem that there was no actual burial place mentioned.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2UMFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA132&dq=james+mossman%27s+trial+in+edinburgh&hl=en&ei=mnYiTNP-H9CC_QbA2-2DBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

On checking Marriotte’s surname it seems that it is Spanish only its spelling is Ares, Ares was the Greek War God also known as Mars. 

Canongate Marriages.

Robert Mosman married Margaret Fender 5 April 1608
Jeane Mossman married William Robertsoun 9 Dec 1615
Marioun Mosman married William Gembill 15 April 1627
Mungo Mosman married Dorrathie Gyllour 3 Aug 1630
Agnes Mosman married George Trob 6 Feb 1646
Margaret Mosman married William Orrok 7 June 1663
Catharen Mosman married James Trotter 7 May 1665   
James Mossman married Helen Steell 30 Nov 1776

Edinburgh Parish Marriages.

Jonat Mosman married George Peirsone 18 Jan 1597
Katharine Moseman married Johnne Finlawsoune 1 Feb 1597
Jonat Moseman married Johnne Owall 28 Sept 1597
Cuthbert Moseman married Sibillia Mosie 31 May 1608
Elspet Mosman married Andrew Makmath 23 Oct 1617
Bessie Mosman married Walter Scot 6 Feb 1621
Marione Mosman Married Williame Gemmill 13 June 1627
Thomas Mosman married Bessie Cowts 11 July 1633
George Mosman married Jonet Scotte 9 April 1640
Marione Mosman married Johnne Gemmill 24 Aug 1643
Issobell Mosman married David King 29 Jan 1646
Williame Mossman married Agnes Peires 25 June 1646
Marione Mosman married David Wightman 7 June 1649
Esther Mosman married William Auld 3 June 1652
George Mosman married Margaret Patoun 3 Nove 1658
Margaret Mossman married William Henderson 30March 1665
Jonet Mossman married Patrik Crafurd 7 July 1670
William Mossman married Margaret Chrtstion 4 July 1673
James Mossman married Margeret Sympson 16 Nov 1677
Bessie Mossman married George Twaddell 18 Dec 1679
William Mosman married Eupham Hay 8 July 1687
Elisabeth Mosman ( Father  George Mosman ) married Charles McKie 31 March 1700

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 June 10 08:45 BST (UK) »
THanks so much for all of this Archie!
The book is a wonderful- if pretty gruesome- summary of what became James Mossman.
Looking at all those marriages, doesnt seem like there are any outstanding ones likely to be Janet his widow...but perhaps she remarried using her own name??

I understand from these book links you have sent that James Mossman was the son of anther James Mossman. It also seems my James Mossman had a son John by his first wife. No sign of other children.

Thanks for the coat of arms- that is brilliant. I have been reading about Know House on the net. Would love to see it someday!

Kylie B

Offline Andee

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 October 10 02:02 BST (UK) »
Kylie, I too have been trying to unravel this man.  We have been told we descend from him but have also been told we are from Australian Mossmans.  We know for certain we are from Archibald M whose father George died when he was 6 wks old.  George is said to be buried in Berwick Upon Tweed Holy Trinity Church.  George's father was "John of Scremerston".  From there back we are at a standstill - for now - I won't give up - still have some sources to search.  As for the Knox House in Edinburgh, I have been there.  It is a beautiful bldg set in the "middle" of Kings Row.  I was flabergasted to find the Mossman name, etc, all over the bldg.  I had no knowledge before I was there that our name was so prevalent.  For what it is worth, and at the moment not worth much because I can't remember how I came across the info, but James was not only hangit because of Mary Queen of Scots, but because of counterfeiting that was being done in the "basement" of the castle when it was overrun.  All of Scotland is a beautiful place - and I can't wait to return.  The Scottish Historical Society in Edinburgh is a place I have not been able to research yet.  Have to get my eggs in the basket so I know what I am after - too many fires going now.  If you need me, yell.  Andee (Yukon, Okla)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 October 10 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Andee
I am still stuck on James Mossman- I have found references to his marriage to Janet King daughter of Alexander King advocate, (second wife) but no idea of children from the marriage. I did find comment of a son John from his first marriage- but then not sure what became of him.
Not sure what happened to Janet after James was hung- and re the counterfeiting, I have read a couple of articles that claim that charge was trumped up!! And in fact he was 're-making' some of the crown jewels into other jewelry that could be divided out amongst supporters of Mary Queen of Scots and thereby kep safe until the true family was back on the crown.

So I guess your concept of counterfeiting depends on your loyalties and perspective!!!

Will let you know if I have any breakthrough's- and let me know if you see any signs of Janet King widow of James or any children of James!

Kylie B