Author Topic: Duggans - Dublin  (Read 33417 times)

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
Duggans - Dublin
« on: Saturday 17 April 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Looking for anyone that might be related to this Duggan family from Dublin, Ireland.

Thomas Duggan married Julia Keely in around 1855-58.

They had seven children, that I know of;

Thomas (my great great grandfather) b.1858
Julia Frances b.1860
William Henry b.1861
Sylvester John b.1863
Teresa Mary b.1865
Alphonsus b.1867
Christina Catherine b.1871

Sylvester died at age 3, it seems.

According the 1911 census, Julia is living by herself, single, as a Dressmaker.

Christina and her mother Julia are living together. Both are widows. Christina is also a dressmaker and her married name is Turley. There are no children mentioned.

Alphonsus married a woman named Christina O'Brien. They had a lot of kids!
Frances b.1893
Thomas b.1895
Evaline b.1897
Alphonsus b.1899
Henry b.1903
Fergus b.1906
Eileen b.1908
Edmund b.1910

According to the 1939-40 Electoral Register, I THINK there may have been at least two more children after 1911, Frederick and George. Alphonsus Sr. is a 'Printer Compositor'(?) and the eldest daughter Frances is a shopgirl in a Pork Butcher's.

My great great grandfather Thomas, married a woman named Mary. We think her surname was Hyland but have been able to prove it as of yet. I'm working on it!

They had at least ten children as of 1911, although two have died. The census states they are married 28 years. Two are not in the household and I have yet to find them. The children still in the house are as follows;
William c.1886
Thomas c.1888
John c.1892 (my great grandfather)
Evaline c.1894
Francis c.1898
Mary c.1902

There is also a granddaughter, Mary, who is three but I have no idea who's child she is. I'm presuming one of the boys as her surname is Duggan.

Thomas Sr. is a House Carpenter. William and Thomas Jr. are both 'Engine Fitters at Works'. John is a 'Motor Fitter at Works'. Evaline is a 'Milliner at Factory'.

John married a woman named Claire Coyne and they had three children, Patrick, Marie and John (my grandfather).

Phew! After all that, I hope someone here recognizes this family!

Ali
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Duggans - Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
could this be their marriage.

michael thomas duggan to julia j teresa keely 23-7-1859  diocese of dublin parish of st.audoen,s rc.

birth joseph mary duggan 16-5-1874 dublin. parents as above.

regards mary.

doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
That is very interesting Mary....

I'm just worried about the date of the marriage. I have the transcript of the birth/baptism cert for my great great grandfather Thomas Michael Duggan on the 29/3/1858 in St. Pauls

But the Joseph born in 1874 makes me think there has to be a connection here. One of the family names is Alphonsus and there were very few Alphonsus Duggans in Dublin. One Alphonsus Duggan that I found is living with his father Joseph, who in 1911 is 36 which fits perfectly with the birth you found. I have always thought that this Joseph was part of our family but did not find proof.

I just don't know what to make of the marriage dates. Is it possible the child, Thomas, was born out of wedlock?
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Lisa Duggan l3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali, I could nt believe it when I saw your message on this web site.  My name is Lisa Duggan and my family and yours are one and the same.  Alphonsus Duggan is my great grandfather and Christina O Brien my great grand mother. Their son Thomas is my grandfather and my father is also Thomas Duggan, sadly he died when I was just three years old. My mother re married his brother ** in Canada in l975 and I have two brothers from this marriage. You were correct about the last two children born to Alphonsus and Christina, Frederick and George.  Fredericks children are all still living and I see them often. George died two years ago and was never married. Aunt Eva was married to a Phillip Godfrey they had no family. Aunt Eileen was married to a Peter Rooney and they have a daughter that I know of **. My fathers brothers and sisters are all dead except two. ** is still alive and **. These are the last living grandchildren of Alphonsus who only died in l956. Alphonsus also had a brother named Edward who you will find on the l9ll census married to Elizabeth with lots of children also working as a compositor with his brother Alphonsus.  The family are not aware of brothers and sisters belonging to Alphonsus as far as I am aware they only knew Alphonsus to have one sibling being Edward. This is very exciting you have filled in lots of information for me and I have been searching for about twelve months, actually since the family all got together at uncle Georgies funeral. We have constantly spoken about it. There is also a branch of the family in Leeds a Harry Duggan who went to Leeds in the l94o s to play soccer for Leeds United. Hopefully this is information that you will find useful and enjoyable. Kind regards Lisa

Moderator's Comment: Names of living people aren't allowed to be posted on Rootschat so some details have been removed from this post. If anyone can fill in more recent family details it would be best done by PM (personal message) rather than online.

Offline Lisa Duggan l3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Ali , I almost forgot to say I am living in Dublin with my husband and four children. I have a brother called Thomas Duggan and he is the fifth generation I think of Thomas Duggan in the family. I also have two other brothers ** and ** whose father is ** Duggan. I would love to hear from you with your thoughts on this and also to share your information. I know that all the grandchildren of Alphonsus who I am in contact with will be delighted to find another branch of the family. Kind regards Lisa Duggan Connolly.

Moderator's Comment: Names of living people aren't allowed to be posted on Rootschat so some details have been removed from this post. If anyone can fill in more recent family details it would be best done by PM (personal message) rather than online.

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
Yay!

PMed :D
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Sevilled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

The Duggans you mention are a part of my family.
My grandmother was Mary Duggan your great grandfathers sister. I remember your great grandmother coming to visit when I was small we knew her as Aunt Baby

The other Mary you mentioned from the census was their little cousin Maire later to become Sr. Brigid . She lived with them for a number of years. 

Thomas Duggan was married to Mary Hyland .
I had some research done on the family but unfortuatly i lost it all when my computer crashed. Will check with my dad what information he had kept.

In 1901 census they were living in 15.7 upper buckingham street.

Frances - 11    She later became Sr Frances  was in convent in kilcullen co kildare.
Evaline married Charlie Lennox lived in Donnycarney in Dublin - children Angela, Irene, and two boys will check names
Francis ( frank) married Agnes  - They lived in Manchester - son Terrence
William  and James and Thomas all went to Uk. will check details and get back to you
William l
Regards Debbie
Seville,  Duggan, Wogan,Black, Whelan, O Toole, Shepherd, Doyle. Ryan

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

great to find another family member!

Mary Duggan was my GREAT grandfather's sister. Unfortunately my grandfather (John/Jack Duggan) is now deceased but I remember my grandmother (his wife) talking about Aunt 'Babe' before.

Since the first message, I have found the birth cert naming Mary Hyland. Will post more this evening!

Ali
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Sevilled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 14:31 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention the rest of family

Mary  ( May ) my grandmother married Richard Seville.
children Maureen, Nuala, Aidan and Oilbhe.

My dad was your grandad's cousin , he spent a lot of time at their house in Dollymount
as he went to secondary school in Koska College near their house. 
Seville,  Duggan, Wogan,Black, Whelan, O Toole, Shepherd, Doyle. Ryan