Author Topic: Duggans - Dublin  (Read 33413 times)

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
Re: Duggans - Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 January 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Liam,

That is very interesting! My grandmother has always said that there was a connection to the Guinness family but nobody knows what it was.

My laptop is currently being repaired so I don't have access to all my files but I had found a possible birth cert for Julia naming her parents as Dennis Keely and Esther Nugent, nothing about James. Of course that doesn't mean it's correct but it was the only one I could find at the time. I think I do have Julias marriage cert but I shall have to wait until my laptop is fixed. Do you happen to have a marriage cert for them?
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Liam Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 January 11 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Liam Doyle here again, what part of the world are you from . Re the Connection to Guinness. I have a photocopy of a certificate from the City Hall Dublin,   pertaining to the fact that  James Keely became a freeman of Dublin because he was Married to a guinness. I also have a Type written  letter rom Edward Duggan 46 Portland Row Dublin dated JAN 1921. Addressed to Mr Henry Seymore Guinness Burton Hall Stillorgan. A quote from the letter reads,"Lord Iveagh may be interested to hear that my mother (now in her 89th year)as a child accompanied her mother on a visit to Lady Guinness of the Greenhills, of Tallaght. She also was aquainted with Mr.Benjamin Guinness( or as she familarly says 'Ben Guinness') way back in the 1840s....I have another letter from a Mr Thomas Roper Dated Oct 1901
of Bookkeeping Room, Main Office Western Union Telegraph, co Cgigago to his cousin MaryAnne Kavanagh.In the letter he says that his Grandmother was Keely and his great grand mother was Guinness, he figured that he and His Lordship were 4th cousins.  I wll keep  in touch ...   Liam

Offline Liam Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 January 11 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Liam Doyle again married to MaryRose Duggan,I would like to aim this note to Sevilled. Check out the forum to see my wifes connection to Duggans-Dublin., I have a friend wwho's mother is alive at 99 years of age. She was a Seville before she became O Brien, with what I have read hear I told him that we could be related. In his family there are Sevilles and Keatings, and he had an uncle Richard. His Mother, Margeret Seville O Brien,   said that one of her Female relations in 1916 was shot in the head by the black and tans. Does this  information"ring a Bell"   
                                     Liam                                                                                         

Offline Sevilled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 January 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi liam

Your information   rings a bell with my family tree  - Annie Seville was shot by black and tans in 1921 aged 15 , at her home in Findlaters place. Dublin. Her father worked for Findlaters department store which was around the corner on O Connell Street.

My grandfather, and great grandfather  were Richard Sevilles.  i would be delighted with any more information you might have, as i would like to see where Margaret Seville fits in to our family tree. Could she possibly be a daughter of james Seville.
Seville,  Duggan, Wogan,Black, Whelan, O Toole, Shepherd, Doyle. Ryan

Offline Liam Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 January 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Dearest Debbie,  I am not terribly surprised that a guy I met 40 years ago, through work, turns out to be a distant relative of my wife. My friend and I are both in the motorbike business. we were worlds apart till I started work, as were the worlds of MaryRose and I, till we met 32 years ago. the  words of a song sang by the   group shangrila  " The Leader Of The Pack" could have been written about us when we met.
 Getting Back to Margaret Seville.
 My friends name is (*), known to everyone as (*), he has a brother called (*).
 Margaret was married to William O Brien( born over 100 years ago)
 Margaret's Father was also William
 William Seville married Ms? Keegan.I think they met in FindLaters.where they worked
A bin lorry reversed and crushed Mike Keegan
There was a Jack Keegan , and someone had the nickname Ginger
let me know if any of this information is familiar, and what part of the world you live keep in touch
                                                                       Sincerely Yours
                                                                              Liam
 BTW if you or any of your relations have ever ridden  a motorbike and shopped in dublin for motorbike parts you or they have met me

(*) Moderator Note: Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.  Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data. (see : http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php) 

Offline Liam Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 January 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
In the photograph:- The Doyles , (*)

Offline Liam Doyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 16 January 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
To Lisa Duggan, I am not sure how this forum works, but I hope that you will get to read this post. It appears that your Great GrandFather Alphonsus and my wife's (MaryRose Duggan Doyle) Great Grandfather Edward were brothers.  I am now trying to get more information on his mother Julia, I have visited her grave in Glasnevin,  I have mention of her in the 1911 census,living with her daughter Christina.It appears that her moter was a Granddaughter of Richard Guinness Father of Arthur Guinness.
                                            Liam

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 January 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liam,

I'm from Dublin, my grandad John Duggan grew up in Clontarf.

I didn't know Julia was buried in Glasnevin, I had looked before but couldn't be sure which was hers. Do you have a record (birth or marriage) showing that her father was James? I had found her on the census with Christina as well, and in 1901 I think.

Have you ever contacted Guinness to verify the relationship between the two?
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 16 January 11 17:20 GMT (UK) »
To Lisa Duggan, I am not sure how this forum works, but I hope that you will get to read this post.

Anyone with posts to this thread (including Lisa) is automatically sent an email letting them know that there are new replies, so hopefully she will log in to check details soon.

Just be careful not to mention any details of living people in your posts as this is not allowed on RootChat. Also note that email addresses may not be included in posts, although you can send these, along with other details privately using the PM system.

Dublin Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests