Author Topic: Duggans - Dublin  (Read 33411 times)

Offline LKenney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duggans - Dublin
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Someone else may have also done this, but a couple years ago I went to the Dublin City Archives to see the actual registry entry of James Keely (derived his right by way of "Granbirth" as a "Grandson") and just next to his name on the Dublin City Council Freeeman Roll with the same entry date of 20 Nov 1841 were 2 Guinnesses who were also admitted. Richard Guinness who derived his right by way of "birth" and "Grandson"--Richard Guinness (Admitted 1792 "Brewer"). Did not write the other one, but I think I remember 2 names. As I recall they both claimed rights of admission through the same person? Been awhile and can't remember but archive was about to close and meant to go back when there was more time. Could be a coincidence, but worth a mention, especially if these same names appear as witnesses and other places. I was looking at the orignal large book, but now noticing it said "Extracts From..." perhaps there is another more complete Freeman Roll with more details? My apologies if this is a repeat of information.

Extracts from Dublin City Council Freeman Roll
James Keely
No. of Notice of Claim: 817
No. on Rooll 798
Name: James Keely
Residence at Time of Admission: 1 Eustace St
Addition: Tailor
Date of Admission: 20 Nov 1841
In what right Established: Granbirth/Grandson

Lk

Offline Lisa Duggan l3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 25 August 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
Holly, I am delighted to hear from you I remember when you were little I met you in Clontarf in Cisse 's house, we have pieced together a lot of family information and I would love to share it all with you if you could e-mail me that would be great or post a message through this site. I am in touch with other cousins and they have a lot of information too. Lovely to hear from you. Love to Olive your cousin Lisa Duggan.

Offline Lisa Duggan l3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 25 August 11 23:10 BST (UK) »
Liam Doyle, Its fantastic to find another member of this ever growing family. I totally agree with you that this information is exciting . There was always a rumour about the Guinness family during get togethers and last Christmas we had a Duggan family lunch and again old photos were exchanged and more talk about our connection to the Guinness family was mentioned. It would be lovely for my eldest aunt who is 89 and lives in Clontarf to have this information in document form. She would be absolutely delighted to be able to piece it all together. She has been really interested in all information that has been uncovered to date. I would hope that you see my posting a little quicker that I did yours. I usually use the Geni website to keep up to date. Thanks for the information, its great.  Lisa Duggan.

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I ran into town after work yesterday to go look at the Freeman Rolls. I saw Edward Duggan in 1910, grandson of James Keely, as mentioned previously. However, I also found a James Joseph Duggan, of 46 Stafford Street, who was also admitted as a grandson of James Keely, on 18/7/1883. I had thought maybe it was our Joseph Duggan, but he would've have been too young, being born in 1875, would he not? So maybe we've missed another sibling? Or does anyone have a James Joseph Duggan in their tree?

I also found a Michael Keely, admitted as a son of James Keely on 18/7/1864. This would make him a sibling of Julia Duggan (nee Keely), perhaps the Michael Kealy (b. 1839) that I mentioned in a post above?

Next I looked up James Keely's entry, which was as is mentioned in here in previous posts, on the 20/11/1841 on account of being married to a granddaughter of Richard Guinness (1792). I also found the other names that LKenney has mentioned above, who were entered on the same dates. They were a Richard Kavanagh of 60 Marlborough Street, a law clerk, on account of being a grandson of Richard Guinness; a William Kavanagh of 80 Aungier Street, also a law clerk, also a grandson; and finally Arthur Kavanagh, also of 80 Aungier Street, a cabinet maker who is also listed as a grandson. Now, firstly I'm thinking that these Kavanaghs might be related to the Mary Ann Kavanagh that Liam as mentioned on page 3? I am presuming that one of Richard Guinness' daughters married a Kavanagh, which is where that part of the line starts.

Then, I decided to look through the entire section of 'K's to see if any other Keelys or Kavanaghs were mentioned. ONE month later, the same four men (James Keely, Richard, William and Arthur Kavanagh) are entered AGAIN, but this time the date is the 14/12/1841, and instead of listing Richard Guinness 1792, it refers to a Richard Guinness 1758. However, the relationship to said Richard Guinness (grandsons and married to granddaughter) remains the same, which, except for the dates, would indicate that they are the same man? But how is this possible if Richard Guinness, father of Arthur (brewer) apparently died in 1766?

To try and clear up the confusion, my aim is to get back into the archives at some stage, and find the entries for 1758 and 1792 to determine who is who!

I have my own head muddled from all of this and I'm sure it will confuse the rest of you too!
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 04 September 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
So I went back to the archives to have a look at the two Richard Guinness entries.

The 1758 one, lists Richard Guiness as a 'smith', and says that he's a son of William Guiness.

The 1792 entry, as Richard Guinness, just says that he's a 'smith', and no other information.

Logically I would say that these men were father and son, given the dates, but how could they be if James Keely and the Kavanaghs were listed with exactly the same relationship to both? Now there was a William Guinness who was admitted in 1719, as a gunsmith, by service with Laurence Quin, 'smith'. I'm thinking maybe this is our line? I have found contact details for a woman online who claims that this William Guinness was Richard Guinness' (brewer) brother. I've emailed her, but have yet to hear back.
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline mmgeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 08 December 11 12:23 GMT (UK) »
My great-great-great-grandfather was named Sylvester Joseph Keely, and he was born circa 1830 and emigrated to New York City from Dublin in 1849.  I don’t know his parents’ names or where he was from in Ireland, but there are a lot of similarities with your family.  For example, he had children named Mary Ann and James, and he was a printer/compositor in NY.  I’ve identified *possible* siblings in the U.S. named James, Mary and Fanny (Frances).  Thank you for posting this information.  There's a good chance this is my family, but I’m going to sort through it more closely to see if I can find a definite link.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 08 December 11 17:43 GMT (UK) »

Offline mmgeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 08 December 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much!

Offline mmgeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 08 December 11 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liam, I live in the US and believe that I am related to this family.  There is a Thomas Roper of Chicago in my tree who is the son of Frances (“Fanny”) Keely, born circa 1830 in Ireland.  I am descended from Fanny’s brother, Sylvester Keely, who I believe to be the son of James.  I’ve just discovered this thread and am very interested in learning more about my possible connection to this family.  I would love to learn more about some of the letter and documents that you have and would be happy to share any of my own research.