Author Topic: How do I get a good copy/photo from Library newspaper microfilm?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
How do I get a good copy/photo from Library newspaper microfilm?
« on: Saturday 17 April 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
Have tried to photograph a newspaper image of my grandfather on microfilm at the Central Library in St Helens, Lancs.  None of the copies they were able to run off were clear, all of them were really dark.  They allowed me to take a photo but it was really hard to get a good angle on the image and not get my hand/camera shadow all over it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a better picture of the image from either directly from the image on the roll or from the image displayed when on the machine?

I have tried to post the rubbish image I took but it wouldn't post as it was too huge.

My Aunt aged 78, his last remaining child, would love to see it.  Any help or advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get a good copy/photo from Library newspaper microfilm?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
does it show up ok in the microfilm reader?

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
its dark in places but looks as though it could be cleaned up to make it clearer.  The angled screen area has made it difficult to get a good direct shot of it.  Do you know of any way to make the 3 shots I have smaller so that I can post one?  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
make a copy of the three image files you have and work with the copies, that way you can always go back to the originals

I don't know what you have but I'll assume you're using windows and have nothing fancy installed

go to the start button, click on run and type in mspaint and press return

the paint application should open

in paint select the file menu and then open

in the box that comes up find one of your files, select it and click on ok

the image should open in paint

in the image menu select stretch/skew

in the stretch options change the values from 100 to 50 (horizontal and vertical)

from the file menu select save as and change the filename so you don't overwrite your copy.

play around with the values until you get a small enough file

the image menu option 'attributes' will show a filesize in bytes; if the filesize is less than 512,000 bytes it should post on the board

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice - lets see if it the one I've resized will attach!

Offline billkent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • P/Cs can be fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
This is the best I can manage Kit, it is very dark as you say, I've improved  the camera distortion, if anyone would like to improve on this restore please feel free to do so...this gallant soldier deserves much better than I can manage.

Bill.
Feel free to alter/modify or colour any restores done by me.

Leeves families. Kent and Sussex.
Baker family. Surrey.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 April 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hey Bill, thanks so much for taking the time to try and clean it up.  It's going to be a struggle unless I can get another clearer snap sometime.  Yes, he does appear to have been one of many gallant men. 

D.C.M. London Gazette 26.11.1917 240655 Sjt. J. Carson, S. Lanc. R. (St. Helens).
''For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a counter-attack. He crawled forward under heavy machine-gun and rifle fire, and by firing rifle grenades completely knocked out an enemy machine-gun. His courageous action so demoralised the enemy that they started a retirement.''

He survived and went on to have 8 children.  He was also an assistant trainer for the great St Helens RFC.

Kit

Offline lookingforold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
My go
Snell Brentford cira 1910: Canada cira 1924

Snell; Southampton 1920

Payne: Old Itchen Ferry Village, Woolston, Southampton Cira 1800 to 1930

Price: HMS Collosus & Victory cira 1900

Ernest Cooper; Cornwall, b about 1880 to 1900; Cornwall

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 April 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Wow! you lot really are great.