Author Topic: Where would I find, which County?  (Read 3934 times)

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where would I find, which County?
« on: Sunday 18 April 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
I've got a couple that married by licence in 1792 at Malpas, Cheshire. The groom was from Manchester & the bride from Malpas.

Where should I be looking for a copy of the licence, Lancashire or Cheshire?

Thanks

Jay

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where would I find, which County?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
A visit to the clergyman issuing the licence resulted in three documents, an allegation or affidavit, a marriage bond and the licence. The actual licence was issued to the bridegroom who presented it to the priest conducting the marriage. The licence could then have been kept by the priest, or returned to the diocesan registries, or given to the couple on their wedding day and kept within the family, but usually does not survive. The allegation and bond would be filed in the Diocesan Registry. After 1823 bonds ceased to be necessary.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan.

I do have several allegation/bonds mainly for my Durham lot which have been easy enough to find at the bride & groom have always lived in the same County.

I'll see if I can trace it in Lancashire.

Jay

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
In 1792 Manchester was in the Diocese of Chester. The Diocese of Manchester was not formed until 1847.

Stan

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Ah Cheshire it is then!

Thanks again Stan.

After all my years of research it's all be on the east side of the country, Durham, Lincs & Norfolk.  Cheshire is a new county of research so i'm a little lacking in the knowledge department at the mo!

Jay

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
Stan,
Fascinating info on marriage by licence. Can you spell it out for me in plain language as I would love to understand what it means and why anyone would need to marry by licence anyway? Have often wanted to ask the question but afraid of appearing dim.
Thanks,
Josie.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 April 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
Cheshire Record office have Abstracts and indexes published 1606-1700 in Lancashire and Cheshire Record Society volumes 53, 56, 57, 61, 69, 73, 77 Marriage bonds and allegations 1661-1979:
http://archive.cheshire.gov.uk/dserve/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Index.tcl

Stan

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
Josie marrying by licence was usually quick & more private than having banns called.

From the copies I have the licence is dated a few days before they couple married, some the same day.

I have a far few people in my tree married by licence, including my parents in 1975!

Jay

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 April 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
Cheshire Record office have Abstracts and indexes published 1606-1700 in Lancashire and Cheshire Record Society volumes 53, 56, 57, 61, 69, 73, 77 Marriage bonds and allegations 1661-1979:
http://archive.cheshire.gov.uk/dserve/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Index.tcl

Stan

Thanks Stan, I was just off to have a look on Cheshire Archives & see what I could find.

Jay