Author Topic: N.W.Mounted Police ???  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
N.W.Mounted Police ???
« on: Sunday 18 April 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather, pictured, was first in the 19th Hussars (Boer War), then the Army Veterinary Corps (WW1), I have pictures with him in Home Guard gear (WW2), but, this picture seems oddly out of place. On the reverse it states, 'N.W. Mounted Police' and nothing else. My mother says that he hated wearing this uniform out, as he felt self concious about it, this would have been in Britain, maybe between the wars, who knows.....Can anybody identify it for sure, and answer why he would be wearing it in Britain, unless it was N.W. England, as he was born in Carlisle, Cumberland ???

Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: N.W.Mounted Police ???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Further to the above picture, another one showing him Rear Left as a young man. I knew him to be in the A.V.C. during WW1, but, is the A.S.C. an earlier version of the same perhaps, or, something else ???
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
2nd one is Army Service Corps.....Have to check the medals for a clearer date?
Could it be Canadian? or even Frontiersman in UK??

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
This is the medal content of his military career that I can find so far :   

Queens South Africa Medal, with three bars, Top- Transvaal, Middle-Orange Free State, Bottom- Cape Colony.

Kings South Africa Medal, with two bars, Top-South Africa 1902, Bottom-South Africa 1901.

The 1914 Star.

The War Medal.

The Victory Medal.

Meritorious Service Medal.
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
You don't give a name, but if there is a NWMP connection then search the personnel records:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/nwmp-pcno/001032-300-e.html
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Allanmt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
If it helps, I found this reference to the A.S.C. in a document called "The New Army in Training" published in 1915. 

"The Headquarters of the Army Service Corps had been at Bulford Camp, near Amesbury, on Salisbury Plain since 1903. When heavy motorised transport was introduced just before the 1914-1918 war, the A.S.C. vehicles were given registration numbers beginning 'Bulford' and a four-figure number. These were painted in 4 inch letters on each side of the bonnet, so the trucks became widely known as 'Bulfords'."

URL:  http://www.kipling.org.uk/rg_newarmy_notes.htm

Allan
Turner, Bootherstone, Webb (England, Ireland & Wales). Elliott, McIntosh (Scotland & United States)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry about name, Harry Musgrave Harker, born 1880, Carlisle. Cumberland.
My mistake, I would forget my own legs if they wasn't screwed on...

Thankyou all for your help, I got a bit lost again with details..

Borley.
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline Allanmt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
It seems likely, based on my research, that the uniform represents his membership in the Legion of Frontiersmen.  It was a patriotic paramilitary organization created 1905.  The uniform and insignia he is wearing, although similar to the Northwest Mounted Police (aka Royal Canadian Mounted Police) has some significant differences. I suggest you view the many references to the Legion of Frontiersmen on the internet, beginning with the following link to Wikipedia:     

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Frontiersmen

Allan
Turner, Bootherstone, Webb (England, Ireland & Wales). Elliott, McIntosh (Scotland & United States)

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 April 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
It seems likely, based on my research, that the uniform represents his membership in the Legion of Frontiersmen.  It was a patriotic paramilitary organization created 1905.  The uniform and insignia he is wearing, although similar to the Northwest Mounted Police (aka Royal Canadian Mounted Police) has some significant differences. I suggest you view the many references to the Legion of Frontiersmen on the internet, beginning with the following link to Wikipedia:     

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Frontiersmen

Allan

This sounds so plausible, he had a brother who was in the R.F.A. and served in India and the Boxer Rebellion in China, both were stout military people, and this could well have been another side of their psychi coming out, with no war to go to, it stands to reason maybe.  I have never heard of these organisations before now, a fascinating look at how folk were in those days...thankyou for the information, I will now begin a trawl through the websites, relative to this......

Borley
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)