Author Topic: de Ste Croix  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
de Ste Croix
« on: Sunday 18 April 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
Could I havea look up for the parents of Matthieu de Ste Croix and his wife Francoise Cosnet. Both from St Helier. can I also have their marrage details.
Thanks Lisa

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: de Ste Croix
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa

There are a couple of people who will do look-ups in Jersey but it would help us if you had some idea of the dates so that we know whether we have to look in civil registration or parish records.
Civil registration began in 1842.

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there sorry I have no dates. Matthieu and Franoise had a son James or Jacques, he was born in 1776 so the records would be under parish. Lisa

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Mathieu De St Croix married Francoise Cosnet at St Saviours Parish Church, 8th Dec 1765. There was no mention of either parents. MDSC was from St Helier whilst FC was from St Saviour.

There are no baptism records in St Saviour for FC.

Going back to 1741, there is only one MDSC baptised in St Helier, the son of Elie and Marie Alexander, on 29th Sep 1745. However there is nothing to say that this is the correct record.

Stewart

Offline Lisa B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stewart for you help. Lisa

Offline janiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I have mention (see web Joste genealogy) of Mathieu de St Croix born 1780 St Helier, married to Jeanne Le Gresley. They had grandson Elias through their daughter Ann so it is very possible the Mathieu born 1780 is son of earlier Mathieu, son of Elias. What became of the family through your line? JMcG

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I, too, have bumped into the de Ste Croix family: D'Auvergne de Ste Croix married a very very distant cousin in 1872. A seafaring and ship-owning family as I understand it. The Master of the Pride of Free Enterprise was a de Ste Croix: a relative?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline janiamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 12:21 GMT (UK) »
I just consulted work by the late Leo Derrick-Jehu, Royal Society of Genealogists, who took this tree and ramifications with many other Jersey families back to the 12th century, to Guillaume de l'Empereur, Seigneur of the fief of Lampriere, St Helier, Jersey who died before 1299.
LDJ's work is with the Royal Society of Genealogy in London.

Note 1: Guillaume dit l'Empereur was traditionally said to have descended from the Viking chieftain, to whom, at the treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte, Rollo delegated the duty of kissing the foot of the King of France in homage. The chieftain paid the homage in so clumsy & haughty a manner that he toppled the King from his throne & earned the soubriquet l'Empereur.
Re the Ste Croix family, he describes Matthieu de Ste Croix, living 1701 as son of Matthieu de Ste Croix, living 1686, died 1701, he being the son of Matthieu de Ste Croix living 1686 (but no further back).
The Le Bas family he traced of S. Brelade go back to 17th century (Richard Le Bas married Marguerite Martel) whose sister Marie Martel married Brelade Martel in 1598 (the ancestors of the Martel brandy distilling family).
I haven't run into d'Auvergne de Ste Croix but I love his name. Can you tell us more?  I note in one of the tables the Dauverne family, namely Vice Admiral Philip Dauverne born 1754, Lt RN 1786, taken prisoner by the French, presented to Godfroy d'Auvergne, Duc de Bouillon, and recognized as his kin & heir, by Act of Licence of King Geoirge III succeeded 1802 as Prince Philippe D'Auvergne, Duc de Bouillon, imprisoned by the French, dispossessed of his Duchy by the Congress of Vienna 18(14?)  died 1816 in London.
The Joste family in Jersey were a sea-faring family, with all the sons born mid 19th century taking to the sea. JMcG

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
PM sent. Graham
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan