Author Topic: Potters of Tivitshall / Winfarthing Norfolk  (Read 12971 times)

Offline TripeDresser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Potters of Tivitshall / Winfarthing Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 April 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I have an Indenture dated 1651 of Cecil Potter gent of Winfarthing..any connection?

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 July 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
After a long break and a lot of checking records, I can safely say that Solomon Potter was not baptised in Tivetshall as stated on the census records. He only appears on the Startson parish records (which is close by) as previously stated born 30/5/1807 and baptised 20/6/1807 son of William Potter and Sarah.

I have no idea why his birth is stated on the Census as Tivetshall only possibility that he moved there whilst very young but I cannot think of any way to confirm that as the next time he appears anywhere is being married in Winfarthing in 1832. If anyone can suggest other areas of research please feel free
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon
Ridley & Robinson - Durham

Offline Brian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
After a long break and a lot of checking records, I can safely say that Solomon Potter was not baptised in Tivetshall as stated on the census records. He only appears on the Startson parish records (which is close by) as previously stated born 30/5/1807 and baptised 20/6/1807 son of William Potter and Sarah.

I have no idea why his birth is stated on the Census as Tivetshall only possibility that he moved there whilst very young but I cannot think of any way to confirm that as the next time he appears anywhere is being married in Winfarthing in 1832. If anyone can suggest other areas of research please feel free
Just picked up this thread as I have got round to 'my' Potters, Joel was my GGGG uncle son of Thomas and Lydia.  Re why do they say Solomon was born in Tivetshall, many of my tribes state they are born somewhere different to the actual place of birth or baptism, I think it is because af lab families moved for work and if you were brought up in Tivetshall for as long as you could remember that is where you would think you were born, they didn't seem to set quite so much importance to this as family historians do!  I have also found it necessary to search non-conformist records as many labourers belonged to these chapels.  I am sure you have discovered all that for yourself as I note it is some years since this thread was last answered!
Saunders  Norfolk and Suffolk.  Barkway and Barkaway - anywhere.
Mottershall anywhere
Ellis Clerkenwell/Camberwell
Saunders, Woodrow, Leggett, Potter Norfolk
Stacey, Booth, Pennington, Graham, Bennett, Hall, Mawson West Yorkshire
Cooper Cheshire/West Yorkshire
King, Sanger, Hiscock, Gray Wiltshire/Dorset/Hampshire
Barton, Ivett, Minns Cambridgeshire
Palfrey Suffolk
Cox, Crew, Burry Middlesex/Hertfordshire
Burrows Essex

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response which is appreciated.

I have come across Joel before but so far have been unable to link him with Solomon although I did suspect they were related in some way. The odds on them being born around the same time and living virtually next door to each other in Winfarthing and not being related is too much of a coincidence. If you know of a link I would be very interested. I didn't realise how big the Potter family is in Norfolk

If as I suspect Solomon was born in Starston then his parents William may have been born in  Braiseworth, Suffolk and and Sarah may be Sarah Larkham who were married in Carlton Colville, Suffolk in 1801 but I cannot confirm this at the moment as Suffolk records are difficult to find online.
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon
Ridley & Robinson - Durham