Author Topic: Benjamin GIGG (1744-1830)  (Read 2438 times)

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin GIGG (1744-1830)
« on: Tuesday 20 April 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
I am trying to track down the parents of Benjamin Gigg who was born between 1744  and 1754 in the Sidmouth area of Devon. He was married to Mary Knowle. Can anyone help me with this query or at least advise me on where I can find this info. I have looked in Ancestry and Family Search so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lindy
Lindsay, Cleminson, Vannen, Headly, Wall, Smith, Knight, Forster, Hearing, Watson, Winship, Wood, Gray, Curry, Shields, Young, Wilkinson, Johnson, Rodham, Allison, Kirkby, Moore(s), Gregory, Ellison, Wilkes, Cowin, Quine, Connor, Cannell, Crow, Corlett, Crain, Ormerod, Higham, Dootson, Christian, Vaughan, Caine, Curghey, Gigg, Trunfull.

Offline timgigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin GIGG (1744-1830)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindy

Don't know if you are still looking as I've just seen your enquiry about Benjamin.  He was my G-G-G-G-Grandfather and was born in 1744 and married to Mary Knowles  He died on 22 Jan 1830.  They had a number of sons including Robert born in 1783 and Benjamin jnr born in 1796 in Sidmouth.   Benjamin jnr was my ancestor and lived in Sidmouth and is buried with his wife Susan nee Miller in the Sidmouth churchyard (I have copy of parish churchyard records)

regards

Tim Gigg

Offline timgigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Going back we had some information from a distant relation in Australia in 2002 that Benjamin snr was christened on 10 May 1752 at Wootten Fitzpaine in Dorset with sisters Francis and Agnes. Their parents were James and Mary Gigg.  James was christened at Dalwood on 27 August 1732 parents were most likely Robert Gigge and Joane Newton

Would love to get any additional proof of above

regards

Tim     

Offline churchill81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi i havent researched my GIGG line yet but mine came from Sidmouth/Farway/Ottery my 5x great grandmother was Dorothy Gigg marriage to John Goss..we may have the same line. Regards Fiona
devon surnames -  Churchill, Seaward, Holman, Finch, Wheaton, Hart, Whiteway, Goss, Gigg, Maddocks, Lovell, Rackley, Diamond, Slocombe,

Scotland Surnames - Stobo, Russell

Surrey Surnames - Jordan