Author Topic: Microfiche printed out cheap?  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Microfiche printed out cheap?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
As regards distance, that I am afraid is down to trial and error as is the use of flash.
I focus on the screen and see if all the info is visible, moving forward/backward without using the optical zoom.
(Depending on the focal length of the camera lens distance @2foot/600mm)
Have a go and experiment, but be aware that fluorescent light does give a colour cast in most cases.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra hints, Brian,  I shall have another go :) Let us know how you get on, Migky  ;D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
Spent most of last night rewiring my viewer. Just tried taking photos but not turned out that well.
Oh! well was worth trying.
Thanks every one for the tips.
Migky  ;)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
On Ebay in the US someone is advertising $99 for three fiche. So it is even more expensive over there. I did some surfing last night revising the scanner market. About 7 or 8,000 would get you one for medium use (say in a library) while pro versions are 50,000 plus. This excludes the PC to attach to the scanner.

There is one from Australia that a hobbist could get a few ideas from, starting with a light box and a downward facing stand. You will need a Digital SLR with a high quality (low light) macro lens. And for microfiche a way of moving the fiche in two planes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Printer-Microfilm-Microfiche-Reader-Scanner-/160417487841?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Computers_Scanners&hash=item2559a09be1

If you search on Ebay (UK) there are quite a few USB microscopes available under 50.

Ken

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 20:17 BST (UK) »
i have a usb microscope and to be honest i don't think it would serve its purpose for this,
it does enlarge small writing etc and you can capture images from it to the pc,
i have used it for reading SMALL writing on documents but is very time consuming,
but to read numerous fiches i think it would drive you mad ie couple of words at a time then move,
so personally would save your 's

btw the make of the one i have is a Veho and was about 50-60 when i bought it