Author Topic: Microfiche printed out cheap?  (Read 11034 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Microfiche printed out cheap?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
As regards distance, that I am afraid is down to trial and error as is the use of flash.
I focus on the screen and see if all the info is visible, moving forward/backward without using the optical zoom.
(Depending on the focal length of the camera lens distance @2foot/600mm)
Have a go and experiment, but be aware that fluorescent light does give a colour cast in most cases.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra hints, Brian,  I shall have another go :) Let us know how you get on, Migky  ;D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
Spent most of last night rewiring my viewer. Just tried taking photos but not turned out that well.
Oh! well was worth trying.
Thanks every one for the tips.
Migky  ;)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
On Ebay in the US someone is advertising $99 for three fiche. So it is even more expensive over there. I did some surfing last night revising the scanner market. About £7 or 8,000 would get you one for medium use (say in a library) while pro versions are £50,000 plus. This excludes the PC to attach to the scanner.

There is one from Australia that a hobbist could get a few ideas from, starting with a light box and a downward facing stand. You will need a Digital SLR with a high quality (low light) macro lens. And for microfiche a way of moving the fiche in two planes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Printer-Microfilm-Microfiche-Reader-Scanner-/160417487841?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Computers_Scanners&hash=item2559a09be1

If you search on Ebay (UK) there are quite a few USB microscopes available under £50.

Ken

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 20:17 BST (UK) »
i have a usb microscope and to be honest i don't think it would serve its purpose for this,
it does enlarge small writing etc and you can capture images from it to the pc,
i have used it for reading SMALL writing on documents but is very time consuming,
but to read numerous fiches i think it would drive you mad ie couple of words at a time then move,
so personally would save your ££'s

btw the make of the one i have is a Veho and was about £50-60 when i bought it