Author Topic: Minnie Olive Buckle  (Read 7199 times)

Offline jayaydee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Minnie Olive Buckle
« on: Tuesday 20 April 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
My relative, Minnie Olive Buckle, born 1878 in Bermondsey, London, emigrated to America in 1909. I've found her on the Ellis Island website as having arrived on 18 October 1909 on the Minnetonka. The "whether joining relative/friend" column lists Francis F R Mitchell, 83 Green Street, New York.

I would love to know what happened to her - did she marry Francis, where did she settle etc - but I have no idea where to start. Could someone help please?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Olive Buckle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Per the brides' index at www.italiangen.org, Minnie Olive Buckle married Frederick Mitchell on 19 Oct. 1909 in Manhattan.

I think the street Mr. Mitchell was on was Greene Street, which is in Manhattan.

Offline jayaydee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Well she didn't hang around - that was the day after she arrived! Many thanks for finding that. How would I find out more?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 00:05 BST (UK) »
I haven't had any luck finding them on the 1910 Census, but you can check the 1920 Census for free here:  http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

There's information on ordering the marriage certificate here:  http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/home.shtml

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 02:10 BST (UK) »
Not that this helps in your search, but I wonder if the 1909 immigration record is Fiance, instead of Francis?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Frederick Read Mitchell was a woolen merchant c1906.  He was born c1876 in London.  According to his passenger list information in 1912, it looks like he had been in the states 30 times during the past 15 years.

In 1906 (1907?, don't remember which list I read), he was single.  In 1912, he was married and headed to the Hamilton Hotel in Bermuda.  His mother was living at 32 Langdon? Park Road, London.

In 1918, he was still married and his wife (no name) was living at 61, St Johns Villas, Holloway (no country).  Occupation: Traveller, with "Salesman" written over it.  He was headed to Canada and New York.  He was joining Messrs Passavarst, 440 Fourth Ave, New York.  He was intending to stay about 12 months.

I wonder if this could be your F R Mitchell?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
New York passenger list, 7 August 1911, sailing from London, Minnetonka.
Frederick R Mitchell, born c1876, London.  Single.  Merchant.  Last permanent address:  London, England.  Name of nearest relative/friend in country whence alien came: Mother living at 33 Langdon Park Rd., Highgate.  Destination: Bermuda.

He had been in the U.S. "15" (years?), in New York.  Joining relative or friend: 83 & 85 Green St., New York.  He was 5' 4 1/2", fair complexion, brown hair and eyes.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate if someone could verify the information below, please?
NY passenger list, 17 February 1911, St. Louis, leaving Southampton.
Frederick R Mitchell, age 34 and 11 months?, widowed?.  Woolen Merchant.  Mother's address is 32 Langdon.

Could this be Minnie?
FreeBMD, Deaths December 1910: Minnie O Mitchell, age 33, District: Staines.

I apologize if I have read the passenger list incorrectly, but it does look like "W" in the married/single column.  :-\

Offline jayaydee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for all your searching. I agree that Francis looks more like fiance which would make sense.

I couldn't find them in the 1920 census but I did find a death in Toronto, Ontario of a 22-day old Fred Mitchell, birth date 21/3/1910, father Fred Mitchell, mother Minnie Buckle. The death on FreeBMD for Minnie looks probable (her parents lived in that area) and Fred is definitely showing as a widower for the first year or so after that date.

On that basis, I've been searching for her return to England some time between April and December 1910 on Ancestry with no luck. Any ideas on where else to look?

Once again, many thanks  :)